Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 kWh Model Production Delayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, since I just discovered this I thought I might let you all know.

I am a 60 kWh battery reservation holder with a relatively early production #, P912.

My original signed delivery window was mid November. Since I was supposed to be contacted about 30 days before delivery and had not heard anything from Tesla yet, I contacted them to see what the status is since that already would mean that my delivery has been delayed.

The response I got was this:

Unfortunately your estimated delivery did get pushed back. We are planning to now begin production on the vehicles with the 60 kWh battery late this year which would cause your estimated delivery to be January/February 2013.

Just thought that the other 60kWh battery reservation holders that were slated for delivery before February 2013 would want to know so they can plan around it.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 60kWh packs weren't supposed to go into production until later this year. With their ramp up slowing up I bet they just didn't get the number of 85kWh packs they ordered first installed and shippped yet. I would think that 40kWh cars might be less but still delayed from their initial plans.

Think about it this way. On a unit shipped number I would bet that the 60kWh and 40kWh packs are still 'on schedule', but on a calendar schedule they are delayed.

Just spectulation here. I have no facts to back this up. But Tesla could have set up the purchase by buying 3000 85kWh battery sets, and then deliver some 60kWh and 80kWh battery sets, after you deliver the first 3000. Then start adding 40kWh packs to the mix.

So I just got off the phone with ownership experience and they told me that the email is correct in that the 60 kWh batteries aren't entering production until December, but felt that it would be early December. Since my production # is pretty low, particularly for a 60 kWh battery reservation holder (I guess most early Tesla supporters are richer than I am), they felt it was possible that my car may actually be delivered before the end of the year or very early January.

Apparently most 60 kWh reservation holders have later production sequence #s and as a result a good number will be beginning to be delivered in that Jan/Feb timeframe that my email mentioned, but the Ownership Experience team basically said my email was hedging bets in that they would rather estimate things Disney style (from this point your wait will be 40 minutes... meaning 10 minutes, so you are happier with the outcome).

I will keep you all posted if anything changes. Would love to see if there are any 60 kWh battery reservation holders with lower production sequence #s than mine as they may be a better source of info when it comes down to actual delivery data.

Living in California close to Fremont also helps me a bit in terms of a delivery date. But if I turn out to be the lowest 60kWh battery on the forum then I will try and keep the rest of you posted as things develop as I am sure the rest of you are as anxious as I am to get your hands on the steering wheel of your new car. I for one am anxious to start driving on sunlight instead of earth-poisoning oil packaged in blood-spattered barrels.

Cheers.

What is your number?

P 912, mentioned in the first post.

Ceilidh, there are purportedly some R reservation holders with 60 kWh and some even with 40 kWh but, no one has stepped forward on that other thread about it. They come before Ps. I don't think you are the lowest 60.

I sent off an email as well to ownership - adding to their already-heavy email load! - to get a second take.

Weren't the 60kwh batteries were always coming in some months delayed from the 85kwh?

Yes they were always set to be delayed from the 85 kWh batteries, but not by this much. That's why my delivery date was originally mid November. I was thinking Mid November to February seemed to be a pretty significant change and was thus worthy of a post.

For me it is pretty significant. My Kia that I bought on my residency budget will last until mid November without an expensive trip to the shop, but not until February (you kinda need brakes). I'm not really too excited about putting a bunch of money into a car I am planning on selling off as soon as possible.

On that note, I wonder ow many people are upgrading directly from a Kia to a Tesla. I'm gonna guess not that many.

Cheers.

P 912, mentioned in the first post.

Ceilidh, there are purportedly some R reservation holders with 60 kWh and some even with 40 kWh but, no one has stepped forward on that other thread about it. They come before Ps. I don't think you are the lowest 60.

I sent off an email as well to ownership - adding to their already-heavy email load! - to get a second take.

You keep saying R's come first, but I thought they were simply prioritized among the earliest Ps... interleaved. Where was this 'R's will be first' documented? I don't really care either way, and it wont affect me either way... just wondering.

You keep saying R's come first, but I thought they were simply prioritized among the earliest Ps... interleaved. Where was this 'R's will be first' documented? I don't really care either way, and it wont affect me either way... just wondering.

Yeah, I don't care either way either. Don't mean to take this thread off-topic. So, let's stick to the 60 kWh delay then...

I am nearly certain that I am not the lowest. I just don't know if any of the ones before me are posting on the forums. I was surprised that the first I heard about this was when I proactively emailed Tesla, rather than seeing it form those ahead of me on the Forums, or an email from Tesla sooner.

Yes they were always set to be delayed from the 85 kWh batteries, but not by this much. That's why my delivery date was originally mid November. I was thinking Mid November to February seemed to be a pretty significant change and was thus worthy of a post.
Makes sense. My P2860 85kwh has basically moved from an original guess of late November (based on the 5k production) to somewhere in at least the Jan time frame if not Feb, so I guess in my head I wasn't seeing this as a significant change in relative delivery sequencing.

On that note, I wonder ow many people are upgrading directly from a Kia to a Tesla. I'm gonna guess not that many.

I'm sorta upgrading too from my friend's beater '99 Camry (with the Check Engine light on and all!) to the Tesla so, yeah, the delay's problematic.

I haven't quite worked out the tax equation too, but, if I don't get the tax credit this year, I may actually end up losing a good chunk of money to the IRS that I could probably funnel towards the 85 kWh pack instead and get my S sooner?! Hmm... wonder if this line of reasoning will work with my conscience...er...wife!