Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X To Cost Less Than The S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yahoo Autos Car of the Year

"But ultimate survival will depend on a genuine marketplace embrace of both the Model S and the forthcoming Model X, a four-door mini-ute that should be priced a bit downmarket from the S"

So the X will cost less than the S? Has anyone seen any info from Tesla that backs this up?

Last edited:
Yahoo Autos Car of the Year

"But ultimate survival will depend on a genuine marketplace embrace of both the Model S and the forthcoming Model X, a four-door mini-ute that should be priced a bit downmarket from the S"

So the X will cost less than the S? Has anyone seen any info from Tesla that backs this up?

No ... In fact, the X may end up being considerably more expensive than the S. "Comparably priced" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Certainly the dual motor option is likely to add quite a premium.

I wonder what kind of trade in value they'll give for an S. I think I'm going to get a 60 kw S (which I would guess I'll get around March) and drive it until the X comes out. If my S costs $70K originally, and has 12k miles on it, any speculation regarding how much Tesla would give for trade in value?

I wonder what kind of trade in value they'll give for an S. I think I'm going to get a 60 kw S (which I would guess I'll get around March) and drive it until the X comes out. If my S costs $70K originally, and has 12k miles on it, any speculation regarding how much Tesla would give for trade in value?

Trade-in values for the Roadster - even the low mileage ones - have been so-so from Tesla. So, you may be looking at a significant drop if you trade in within a year or so. You can easily find third-party buyers offering a good price for a year-old 60 kWh Model S, I'd think.

Given there's no 40 kWh model, the base price is already more expensive.

Extremely slim chance that the X is less than the S.

So the least expensive Model X will start at $59,900 or more.

I am hoping that it will not be too much more, in part because I'm hoping an 8% annual reduction in battery costs will offset the higher cost of falcon doors and bigger vehicle (nicer interior).

I also am hoping that the AWD option will not be an additional $10,000 more. There is no ICE automaker that charges a $10,000 premium for an AWD model over a FWD model (ceteris paribus).