Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RANT: Permits for Nema 14-50 in San Jose, CA no greater than $350....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of a rant....

What's the point of a having to get a permit for a Nema 14-50 plug? How does the city use this information?

Since the permits are done post install (for me at least), it's not like the city is doing anything.

Sorry, just found out I need a panel upgrade for my plug ($2200 extra!). So, the $350 permit is just salt on the wound.

I'd say to find someone to do it properly for you without a permit. That is really silly for adding a plug. Just another tax under a different name!!

Edit: I added 4x 14-50's and HPC, and wiring for an HPWC. No permits, no problems.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully the odds of burning your house down due to substandard wiring (if you don't know / follow code and just randomly wire up some EV plugs) is lower than the odds of getting screwed by a typical auto dealer!

Well, hopefully the odds of burning your house down due to substandard wiring (if you don't know / follow code and just randomly wire up some EV plugs) is lower than the odds of getting screwed by a typical auto dealer!

The key to that is to look at the wire they use for the installation or better yet request they use 6/3 NM or #6 AWG if they use EMT/conduit/PVC, the 2 hots, and neutral must be sized for 50A, the ground can be downsized 2 gauges. I would also insist on copper only as well. There's not much that can be screwed up if they use the proper gauge wire on a 50A circuit breaker.

Last edited:
There's not much that can be screwed up if they use the proper gauge wire on a 50A circuit breaker.

It actually is pretty complicated. There's the distance the wire is run. There's the temperature rating of the wire and breaker and outlet. There's whether the wire is Romex or THHN in conduit (the latter can handle more). DIY'ers will sometimes run romex in conduit thinking that's double protection (or just that romex is easily available) - and that's a big no-no since it caused faster/more overheating.

It actually is pretty complicated. There's the distance the wire is run. There's the temperature rating of the wire and breaker and outlet. There's whether the wire is Romex or THHN in conduit (the latter can handle more). DIY'ers will sometimes run romex in conduit thinking that's double protection (or just that romex is easily available) - and that's a big no-no since it caused faster/more overheating.

Not for any competent electrician it isn't :). You can make a big deal about anything, electricians install range outlets all the time when wiring new houses, they are aware of the code requirements.