Thread: RANT: Permits for Nema 14-50 in San Jose, CA no greater than $350....

RANT: Permits for Nema 14-50 in San Jose, CA no greater than $350....

Kind of a rant....

What's the point of a having to get a permit for a Nema 14-50 plug? How does the city use this information?

Since the permits are done post install (for me at least), it's not like the city is doing anything.

Sorry, just found out I need a panel upgrade for my plug ($2200 extra!). So, the $350 permit is just salt on the wound.

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of the sticker shock for you, tdiggity.

Yes, in my case, the City of Newark needed a permit as well and an inspector came by to check the installation out after SolarCity was done but, it all cost $450 for me (no panel upgrade).
    Awaiting VIN P 65513 - P85D, Performance Dual Motor AWD, Green, Pano Roof, Textile Seats, Piano Black trim, Black Alcantara Headliner, Tech Package with Autopilot, Dual Chargers, Subzero Package, Smart Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, ETA December 2014

VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, 28,343 miles, Delivered January 2013, RIP August 2014

I'd say to find someone to do it properly for you without a permit. That is really silly for adding a plug. Just another tax under a different name!!

Edit: I added 4x 14-50's and HPC, and wiring for an HPWC. No permits, no problems.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 2012-10-30 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added personal info
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remember the permitting process was created to protect you (the uneducated consumer) from scrupulous contractors... just like NADA says car dealers were created to protect us from horrible manufacturers.
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by DrComputer View Post
    Remember the permitting process was created to protect you (the uneducated consumer) from scrupulous contractors... just like NADA says car dealers were created to protect us from horrible manufacturers.
    I think you meant 'unscrupulous' contractors.
    [/B][/URL] Sweet Silver Sixty: 60KWH, Silver ext/Black int, Pano, Tech, 21" Silver wheels

Well, hopefully the odds of burning your house down due to substandard wiring (if you don't know / follow code and just randomly wire up some EV plugs) is lower than the odds of getting screwed by a typical auto dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by dflye View Post
    Well, hopefully the odds of burning your house down due to substandard wiring (if you don't know / follow code and just randomly wire up some EV plugs) is lower than the odds of getting screwed by a typical auto dealer!
    The key to that is to look at the wire they use for the installation or better yet request they use 6/3 NM or #6 AWG if they use EMT/conduit/PVC, the 2 hots, and neutral must be sized for 50A, the ground can be downsized 2 gauges. I would also insist on copper only as well. There's not much that can be screwed up if they use the proper gauge wire on a 50A circuit breaker.
    Last edited by mitch672; 2012-10-30 at 12:05 PM.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

Quote Originally Posted by mitch672 View Post
    There's not much that can be screwed up if they use the proper gauge wire on a 50A circuit breaker.
    It actually is pretty complicated. There's the distance the wire is run. There's the temperature rating of the wire and breaker and outlet. There's whether the wire is Romex or THHN in conduit (the latter can handle more). DIY'ers will sometimes run romex in conduit thinking that's double protection (or just that romex is easily available) - and that's a big no-no since it caused faster/more overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by smorgasbord View Post
    It actually is pretty complicated. There's the distance the wire is run. There's the temperature rating of the wire and breaker and outlet. There's whether the wire is Romex or THHN in conduit (the latter can handle more). DIY'ers will sometimes run romex in conduit thinking that's double protection (or just that romex is easily available) - and that's a big no-no since it caused faster/more overheating.
    Not for any competent electrician it isn't . You can make a big deal about anything, electricians install range outlets all the time when wiring new houses, they are aware of the code requirements.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

Thread Information