Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you in other areas and that just read trivial news about the election or whatever, it turns out there is this bizarre hurricane rolling up the Atlantic seaboard as we type. Its going to do this really weird thing and hang a hard left at Delaware and roll on over New Jersey Monday afternoon. They predict 4 inches of rain in the DC area and more in the coastal areas and also VA, NY and Penn will all be involved. I have seen threads worried about driving through puddles and such. So...

C'mon, those who have taken delivery: this is a good time to test the machine. As early adopters we owe it to our fellow club members. How well do the wipers work at various speeds? What's the deepest water you have spashed through? Did the car stop :)crying:)? How long did it take for your Ranger to arrive and what is now his current opinion of you? A rare opportunity. Join me, report back through Monday and Tuesday. Tesla themselves might even be interested. (Is there anything in the manual about this? Guess I should read it sometime.)

I think the only thing 'special' about the S for rain is the same thing 'special' about most ICE cars: don't make it swim. ICE will have problems with exhaust and intake (it needs air! not water!) but otherwise should be fine. Similarly Model S prolly can't handle having the battery pack submerged but is otherwise ok. ... S might be better, since battery and suspension are closed loop systems. Maybe the electric pumps for those systems wouldn't like being submerged tho...

For those of you in other areas and that just read trivial news about the election or whatever, it turns out there is this bizarre hurricane rolling up the Atlantic seaboard as we type. Its going to do this really weird thing and hang a hard left at Delaware and roll on over New Jersey Monday afternoon. They predict 4 inches of rain in the DC area and more in the coastal areas and also VA, NY and Penn will all be involved. I have seen threads worried about driving through puddles and such. So...

C'mon, those who have taken delivery: this is a good time to test the machine. As early adopters we owe it to our fellow club members. How well do the wipers work at various speeds? What's the deepest water you have spashed through? Did the car stop :)crying:)? How long did it take for your Ranger to arrive and what is now his current opinion of you? A rare opportunity. Join me, report back through Monday and Tuesday. Tesla themselves might even be interested. (Is there anything in the manual about this? Guess I should read it sometime.)

Speaking as an officer on a volunteer fire department in coastal CT, it is utterly irresponsible for anyone to go out driving in this hurricane. Biff67 should be ashamed of himself!

Stay inside. People like me literally die in the line of duty! Also, I'm a volunteer so my family doesn't get the full federal death benefit for first responders (thanks President Bush!) if we die rescuing people that flaunt the directives from the people who are tasked with your safety.

Stay inside, and don't drive!

Biff, if you were standing in front of me right now, I would make you read the eulogy I read for my friend, my partner, my brother in arms who died because some idiot thought it was a good idea to go for a beer run during the ice storm in '97 in Maine. Maybe I'd show you a picture of his daughter, who was born only a week after he died.

There have been many empassioned and interesting arguments in this forum over floor mats, engine noise, car color, service plans, and so much more. This time I'm stepping in and calling a full stop.

I hope the moderators kill this post and ban this user!

Michael J. Schlechter
EMT - I
Lieutenant, Training Officer
Weston Volunteer Fire Rescue
Emergency Medical Services Division

Emeritus Chief of Services,
Bates College Emergency Medical Services

Speaking as an officer on a volunteer fire department in coastal CT, it is utterly irresponsible for anyone to go out driving in this hurricane. Biff67 should be ashamed of himself!

Stay inside. People like me literally die in the line of duty! Also, I'm a volunteer so my family doesn't get the full federal death benefit for first responders (thanks President Bush!) if we die rescuing people that flaunt the directives from the people who are tasked with your safety.

Stay inside, and don't drive!

Biff, if you were standing in front of me right now, I would make you read the eulogy I read for my friend, my partner, my brother in arms who died because some idiot thought it was a good idea to go for a beer run during the ice storm in '97 in Maine. Maybe I'd show you a picture of his daughter, who was born only a week after he died.

There have been many empassioned and interesting arguments in this forum over floor mats, engine noise, car color, service plans, and so much more. This time I'm stepping in and calling a full stop.

I hope the moderators kill this post and ban this user!

Michael J. Schlechter
EMT - I
Lieutenant, Training Officer
Weston Volunteer Fire Rescue
Emergency Medical Services Division

Emeritus Chief of Services,
Bates College Emergency Medical Services

dude...

Republicans always manage to put their foot in it (their mouths), between the %47 Romney comment, his hatred of EVs, woman's rights, who would or could vote Republican at this point. Obama might not be perfect or great, but he'll do less damage to the country, and at this point, thats the only choice we have.

I'm fine BTW, just had to work from home yesterday and today, street flooding, downed trees and power lines, and trying to keep the roads clear for first responders...

Republicans always manage to put their foot in it (their mouths), between the %47 Romney comment, his hatred of EVs, woman's rights, who would or could vote Republican at this point. Obama might not be perfect or great, but he'll do less damage to the country, and at this point, thats the only choice we have.

I'm fine BTW, just had to work from home yesterday and today, street flooding, downed trees and power lines, and trying to keep the roads clear for first responders...

Good to hear you are doing ok. Keep those storm drains clear!

@DP - Yes, long, long lines (140-200 cars) for cans only - most places are have a $40 limit per person. It's the generators that are using the most. Many run them 24/7 despite them being super inefficient through the night when almost off load.

We're running ours for 4hr/day to recharge batteries and keep the fridge/freezer cool. It equates to about one-and-a-bit gallons a day so we're good for a week.

Interestingly, NJ has a rule prohibiting importing gasoline in from other states - that was lifted yesterday.

Fun times.