Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playlists on USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew Wolfe

Roadster 472 - S 440
Jun 20, 2011
Los Gatos, CA
I put a bunch of music on a USB drive and plugged it into one of the jacks. The car found the music and indexed it and will play it fine. However, I'd prefer not to always listed to it in alphabetical order.

I can't figure out how to get it to find a playlist file. There also doesn't seem to be a random play option,

Anyone else tried USB music? Am I missing something?

I put a bunch of music on a USB drive and plugged it into one of the jacks. The car found the music and indexed it and will play it fine. However, I'd prefer not to always listed to it in alphabetical order.

I can't figure out how to get it to find a playlist file. There also doesn't seem to be a random play option,

Anyone else tried USB music? Am I missing something?
There doesn't appear to be any way to organize things or make playlists. You can create favorites in the order you want them to play in though.

I was hoping. Oh well.

How about subfolders? Can I get it to playlist based on the files in a folder?

I'll know soon enough, but I'm building the USB drive now and would rather not put effort into items that don't work (yet).

You can access by genre - so I suppose that you could make a duplicate music database with made up genres corresponding to playlists. (The naming database I use has so many genre's that pretty much every artist has their own :smile:) It would still be in alphabetical order within that list though.

No folders. The tags are read into an internal database during a scan after insertion and folder structure is lost.

I actually would consider that a good thing, as it enables me to take tons of my mp3s that I have lying in folders all over the hard drive and just lump them on a USB stick. Sure, I have my iTunes library all neatened up and whatnot, but for the two hard drives sitting on the shelf over there ... sure makes it easy just to drag them over.

This is what I have organized for my songs. The micro SD is a class4 (but not having any problems with lag for simple songs - non streaming) and the reader is some overseas-tech thingy that I found. Both on ebay. Total cost was less than $30. Probably closer to $25

photo (1).JPG
photo.JPG

This is what I have organized for my songs. The micro SD is a class4 (but not having any problems with lag for simple songs - non streaming) and the reader is some overseas-tech thingy that I found. Both on ebay. Total cost was less than $30. Probably closer to $25

Be careful with overseas eBay tech thingies. This is something you don't want to go cheap-out on. Some can contain malicious spyware and viruses that you may spread. Some are incredibly sophisticated and may not be targeting you in particular. It could be as small as a petty corruption or as big as industrial or international espionage. You may not be able to detect them even if you are an expert. It's better to pay for some integrity and security. Some dangerous spyware and viruses are showing up in what were thought to be reliable product channels as well.

It would be nice if one could buy devices that are certified as "sealed and sanitized for your protection".

-Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming-

Have you considered a 64gb stick? Those are 1 inch and about 30 dollars: Patriot Axle USB flash drive - 64 GB - Gray

Bought one of those yesterday too in 32GB. (Red to match the car). The Kingston was much smaller and had no extra cover piece hanging on it - so I tried it first. Some systems choke over 32GB so I am interested in seeing if anyone has luck with something larger. On the other hand - 32GB is over 300 hours of music before it repeats and at 64GB I'd still only get part of my (completely legal) collection.

- - - Updated - - -

Any recommendations for something manage tags? iTunes is simply horrid for making large-scale edits.

Media Monkey! Try it.

Hi,
I have a 32 GB flash drive I just loaded about 7 GB of music on.

I just copied the folders (some with sub folders) onto the USB drive.

But, when I plug it in and I select anything other than folders, it just sits there forever with the busy spinner.

The music does play fine in folder mode.

Any suggestions on why it chokes?

Any idea how long the indexing should take?

Does the car use a music service to identify the music and try to download album art?

Tesla's usual lack of communication is frustrating me with no answers.

Thanks,