Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible air suspension height settings issue

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohh View Post
    Slightly OT, and it might be covered elsewhere, but whats the delta between highest and lowest suspension settings?

• Normal height = 6”
    • High Level 1 = 0.90” taller; When the vehicle accelerates above 19 mph, the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
    • High level 2 = 1.3” above Standard and can be used for ascending a steep driveway or fording deep snow. Clearance reverts to High Level 1 above 10 mph.
    • Low Level = 0.79” under Standard; Active Air Suspension will automatically lower the vehicle for highway driving to improve aerodynamics. Low Level is also accessible from the touchscreen for loading/unloading of passengers. When the vehicle begins driving the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Fascinating. The Model S *does* adjust its suspension for getting in and out (I've noticed it adjusting as I entered the car). Great tip! I'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, make sure you let the ownership team know (feedback).
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Pistons are unnecessary. Todd Burch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    And the stoplight issue wouldn't even be bad, depending on the speed it needs to achieve before lowering. I wonder if there is a power-consumption concern against this behavior?
    Probably less of a power consumption issue and more of a mechanical cycling issue. You probably wouldn't want the air suspension cycling up and down every time you stop at a stoplight or slow down.
    P85 VIN?????. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 19s (for now), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: P1577, VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Thanks jerry33!
    Back on topic; I have an A6 with air suspension, and it will keepbthe suspension hight while parked. I could not see any reason for the Model S to do the same. There is a reason for you to set it to high/very high, and I would think the same reason apply after you've been parked.
    I also assume the suspensions are air-tight, hence do not need help in staying at whatever level that is chosen. Not an engineer, so I might be wrong, though..

Sig S#118; R#770 (ret.) stevezzzz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    Fascinating. The Model S *does* adjust its suspension for getting in and out (I've noticed it adjusting as I entered the car). Great tip! I'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, make sure you let the ownership team know (feedback).
    Hmmm. Maybe I was just unlucky: if I missed scraping the nose the parking bumper by a skosh on the way in, any adjustment of the suspension when I got out of the car or back in could easily have lowered the nose relative to the tail fractionally and left the nose sitting on the parking bumper. I've watched in my garage as I played with the suspension height settings: the front and rear suspensions operate independently. Actually, I think I read that all four corners operate independently so that the car can be kept closer to level under different load conditions and also dynamically, as during cornering.

Makes me even more determined not to overrun those parking bumpers in the future.

The best solution here is proximity sensors or better yet camera view for front bumper. Parking bumpers especially with diagonal parking are killers and very hard to judge.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any pics of the damage?

Sig S#118; R#770 (ret.) stevezzzz's Avatar
    Nah. It's not bad enough to be more than an annoyance...

Quote Originally Posted by ohh View Post
    Back on topic; I have an A6 with air suspension, and it will keepbthe suspension hight while parked.
    Cars I've owned with air suspension always maintained height when parked *except* when there was something wrong, like a leak in the system. I had one car that developed a small leak in a line (would settle slowly and pump ran more frequently) and another time on the same car, a massive failure of one of the bellows causing the rear end to sink almost to the ground! I hope that's not the case with the OP's car!

CDN P285
    I just had my test drive last week while in florida, and was told by my co-pilot that the S automatically goes to LOW when set to park.

I saw this in real time by looking at the car's reflection in the store window whilst in the driver's seat.

This should be adjustable by software to prevent such curb rash.

Thread Information