Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas legislative issues/Operation Silent Thunder

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar

Texas legislative issues/Operation Silent Thunder

I just called my state senator and asked for the person that deals with transportation issues. She had never heard of Tesla Motors and I spent a few minutes talking with her about it. I explained that I thought it was very odd that an American car company wasn't legally allowed to sell cars in Texas and she found that odd as well. I asked for a modification to the dealership law that state
    "Any American car company that does not have a licensed dealership anywhere in the US is allowed to sell cars directly to customers in Texas and have a store here that can assist customers in placing orders online or over the phone"

Please call your local state representative and senator to do the same thing if you have time. They only meet every 2 years so if we miss this session, it will be a long wait again.

Operation Silent Thunder
    Also, in order to work on these issues we are looking to organize a Capitol Hill day. The plan would be to pick a weekday (would most likely have to be a weekday while they are in session unless they would arrange to meet us on a Saturday) where we would all drive our Model Ss to Austin. We would meet for a late breakfast and talk strategy and pickup any handouts that were created. Appointments with legislators offices would be set up ahead of time for late morning/afternoon too. We would discuss Tesla and the unfair dealership laws and then take any willing representatives, senators or their staff for rides.

You would be using your own car with no official support from Tesla so the car would be under your insurance since this is purely a volunteer effort.
    Last edited by dsm363; 2013-01-19 at 09:21 AM.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I am on this.

I looked at Who Represents Me--Home

It will help you find who represents you.

I clicked "all districts" and it listed everyone I need to call ... from work on Monday.

Thanks dsm363.

I just called both of my politicians (rep and senate). The rep (worker) just called back, took down my information and stated that "he thinks the laws have been on the books for almost 80 years and that it would be near impossible to change" Have not heard back from the senator yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze1 View Post
    I just called both of my politicians (rep and senate). The rep (worker) just called back, took down my information and stated that "he thinks the laws have been on the books for almost 80 years and that it would be near impossible to change" Have not heard back from the senator yet.
    Gotta love it. I think they don't have to change the law, just tack on an exemption for Tesla to some other bill.

Thanks for calling.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Just got a phone call from my state senator's office. She (Liz) was happy to discuss this. No kidding. I heard the keyboard flying in the background. She asked about Tesla and the whole vehicle law situation. I told her that I was surprised that I could not buy an American product within state borders. That got her really moving. She asked if I was affiliated or worked for Tesla. So I know she was intrigued by the topic. Finally she stated that the session would start in January and she would research the topic to potentially add to the senator's agenda.

Back to work ...

Just got a phone call from my state senator's office. She (Liz) was happy to discuss this. No kidding. I heard the keyboard flying in the background. She asked about Tesla and the whole vehicle law situation. I told her that I was surprised that I could not buy an American product within state borders. That got her really moving. She asked if I was affiliated or worked for Tesla. So I know she was intrigued by the topic. Finally she stated that the session would start in January and she would research the topic to potentially add to the senator's agenda.

Back to work ...
    Send that office flowers or a fruit basket or something.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now that's what I call grassroots. Good effort.

This is good work. I'm going to join the party.

Back to work ...
    Thank you!

Even out of state people can call if they want. Just pick a random state senator (probably one on the transportation committee) and say you have a friend in Texas and are shocked they can't buy an American built car legally in Texas.

While we are at it, we should try to get some of the benefits that other states have: HOV stickers, toll-free driving, tax exemption ... something. We got, essentially, nothing. But what do you expect from a traditionally oil driven state?

Thread Information