Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Special spot in glove compartment -- for J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was super-annoyed this week with the lack of storage in the Model S for one very specific item: the J1772 adapter. I wanted it somewhere in the front seat, so that I could easily grab it. And of course, due to all the minimalism in the cabin, there was no place to put it but the glove box... where it rolled around every time I took a sharp corner.

Except that at some point it stopped rolling around. It turns out that in the left rear corner of the glove compartment, there's a tiny space that seems perfectly suited for holding the J1772 adapter. It's not exactly "precisely" contoured to the adapter, but it seems like a very good fit, and the adapter certainly fits in there tight enough to stay put. I can't think of what else this little void would be for.

I was super-annoyed this week with the lack of storage in the Model S for one very specific item: the J1772 adapter. I wanted it somewhere in the front seat, so that I could easily grab it. And of course, due to all the minimalism in the cabin, there was no place to put it but the glove box... where it rolled around every time I took a sharp corner.

Except that at some point it stopped rolling around. It turns out that in the left rear corner of the glove compartment, there's a tiny space that seems perfectly suited for holding the J1772 adapter. It's not exactly "precisely" contoured to the adapter, but it seems like a very good fit, and the adapter certainly fits in there tight enough to stay put. I can't think of what else this little void would be for.

Is this something you're going to use on a daily basis or multiple times a day? I don't have the 3rd row seats so have that huge area below the floor of the trunk and just keep it there so it's out of the way.

I was wondering what else would go there since it's so deep... I hadn't thought of an umbrella! But I think an umbrella might still fit better sideways.

As far as how often I'll use it -- I'll be using it several times a week, depending where I'm parking during the day. And it just seemed silly (to me) to have to open up the liftgate (AND then pile around in the bug area under the floor or the small spot on the left back there) every time I wanted it.

So does the right side hold an umbrella? It's really deep!

This umbrella pops out of the door jamb on my other car.

0412_Rollsandbentley_17z+Rolls_Royce_Phantom_VI+Door_Jamb_Umbrella_Holder.jpg

I use the cupholder... it's almost perfect. (Quickly ducks. But I really do!)

Rolls Royce has it right, the adapter should be stashed in the door jamb or on the driver's seat itself. So you can access it standing up, with the charge nozzle in your right hand. If I have to drill a 2.5in dia core-sample out of the upholstery I will! :eek:
--