Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado Track Day - November 3, 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
See Track Driving. I took my Roadster out to High Plains Raceway (HPR) right after I got it in 2009. It was a great experience that helped me learn what the Roadster can do and how to be a better Roadster driver. I have now had my MSP for over a month and am planning to do another day at HPR with both the Roadster and the MSP. A good friend is joining me, and we hope to both learn from a good instructor and compare the Roadster and MSP on the track.

We are scheduled for High Plains Raceway on Saturday, Nov 3 and would love to have some other Tesla owners there with their cars. Here are some details:
  1. HPR has six 50-Amp, NEMA 14-50, RV Outlets available on a first-come, first-serve basis for $25 a day. According to Glen, the HPR manager, 970-215-6040, during winter open lap days there is very little, if any, use of these outlets. If we grab all of these outlets, we could keep a few more than 6 Teslas on a 40 Amp charge all day. The reason for more than 6 is because there will always be some cars on the track at any given time. The reason to limit to 6 is so that all the Teslas out there can top up before the first lap and top up again before the drive home.
  2. HPR gates open at 9am and lapping starts at 10am. My plan is to be at the front of the line waiting to get in at 9am and top off the batteries ASAP. If you look at my previous entry on track driving, I expect that the Wh/mi will be 3-4 times EPA, so keeping the battery charged up will be a priority.
  3. My friend and I will be using Mike Pettiford, Go 4 IT Services, as our instructor. Although you can do a safety briefing, etc, and drive on the track without an instructor, I highly recommend getting one to learn the most you can in the day. HPR is a fast, technical track! My goal for the day is not to learn to be a race driver, but to learn how best to drive the car, and to learn its and my limits so that I can be a safer driver on the road. This is best done with a good instructor. Mike, 303-666-4113, said that he would be happy to recommend and arrange for other good instructors.
  4. You can get info about HPR's Open Lap Days at: Lapping Days at High Plains Raceway
  5. I would like to keep a count of who, if any, will be joining us on Nov 3. This is especially important if we get close to 6 Teslas, given the 6 RV Outlets If you are planing on joining, please reply to this thread or send me a private message.