Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

By Design: Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
Automobile Mag critiques interior and exterior design of the Model S

To be fair, I should call it very pretty, because it is that. But there is absolutely nothing on its smoothly sculpted, plain-vanilla surfaces to distinguish it from the general mass of nicely shaped contemporary sedans.

Tesla-Model-S-front.jpg

1 This pointed-end T-shape, complete with curved-horn top-bar letter T, is vaguely reminiscent of Chrysler's Ram insignia. The whole grille/shield is aggressively anonymous.

2 Domed hood is necessitated by pedestrian impact regulations.

3 Roof profile is elegant, aerodynamic, ...and generic.

4 External mirrors are well-designed and large enough, but where are the digital rear images that a Silicon Valley car ought to employ?

5 Slight haunch of rear fender is sporty, beautifully executed, and very nice indeed.

6 This stiffening crease is contained wholly in the door skins and is happily not run straight through the pop-out door handles, which themselves are nicely shaped and well-placed for both function and stylistic composition.

7 This curious little brightwork piece underscores the doors only, leaving the impression that the front and rear portions of it were either forgotten or fell off.

8 This little joggle in the headlamp cover is presumably intended to become an identity mark for the entire Tesla line. It's not much upon which to build a recognizable identity.

9 Lower front corner inlet is enhanced by double bright strips and placement of secondary lamps at the periphery, but it's an obvious and generic solution.

10 This slot may be all the opening necessary for inlet air, so either this or the grille above could probably be eliminated in terms of function.

Tesla-Model-S-rear.jpg

11 From this view, one can easily see the rounding of the front end in plan view, which supports the claims of a very low drag coefficient. The attention of good aerodynamicists is evident throughout.

12 Black glass roof panel is elegant, provides interior ambience, and integrates the backlight as a discrete design element, without any added trim pieces.

13 Hatchback deck makes trunk access much more convenient with the overall fastback form.

14 Backlight is too small for good rear visibility, increasingly a problem on swoopy sedans. Looks good, doesn't work so well.

15 There is quite a stack of horizontal lines on the rear, some of them to emphasize visual width, some to keep the tail from looking too tall. Unobjectionable but ordinary.

16 Interesting crisp break between side and rear disappears quickly in the bumper fascia and turns to the horizontal within the taillight lens molding. Presumably it reduces drag by keeping flow fairly laminar on the sides.

17 Sharp corners where the color break separates lower and upper body surfaces give the impression that the body was dropped onto a flat baseboard. The effect is curious, giving a sense of unfinished bodywork.

18 Also a curiosity is the severe rear door cut. At the top, it curves gracefully back and down, and then it becomes a straight line without reference to the rear wheel opening.

19 Seemingly obligatory factory-installed door dent is present and accounted for.

20 The bottom of the car around the whole perimeter is blacked out but continues the form.

Tesla-Model-S-interior.jpg

21 Very flat instrument panel and console is surprisingly trucklike. It's not a bad design, but it looks like a hurried, rather than carefully studied, solution.

22 Front seats look like advanced thin-shell designs at first glance, but then one becomes aware of the very thick supporting structure behind the delicate-seeming backrests.

23 Profile of the color-separation line is dynamic, giving the light-colored portion a sense of advanced design that isn't really there. Too bad.

24 Back seats look thin, hard, and flat, but they're very comfortable -- I tried them and was convinced. (There's also an optional rear-facing third row for two kids.)

25 Transparent panels in the glass roof provide agreeable luminosity, making the rather plain interior attractive if not impressive.

Note- I have pasted in nearly the entire article because the reading format here is much better integrated with the images than what Automobile has on its own website. I encourage you to click through to the article to read the main text and so that they get some clicks.

I think the article is fair. Not sure the console was rushed or gives the appearance of its being rushed. However, I do agree with the bright chrome underscoring the two doors. We've talked about that before, and there were some mock-ups of the chrome running from wheel to wheel, which I think looks much better. And I finally agree with the sharp turn the rear door takes at the base. There was something that just had me hung up in a negative way about the back door.

Still, a nicely designed car with what I think are very distinctive looks.

Last edited:
This comment discredits the whole analysis: "But there's nothing about its appearance to command desire."

Most of use who have forked over $5,000 or more to wait in line for what we think is a beautiful car likely will find that comment quite specious.

I forked over my $5,000 and I think they're mostly correct. Looks are decidedly "me too" and not the least bit exciting. It's what's under the skin that made me part with the bucks.

It's interesting to think about which parts of this I agree with and which parts I disagree with. I certainly am not a fan of the harsh diagonal line of rear door, and the oddly truncated bright molding under the doors. OTOH, calling the grille "aggressively anonymous" is a bit bizarre to me. I can spot a Model S (in a light color) from a great distance because of that grille.

I'm surprised they didn't take issue with the hatchback/trunk seam placement. It's definitely not as objectionable on recent cars with good tolerances as it was, but I still think it's weird.

Exactly, that grille isn't going to be anonymous for long....it will be the primary indicator of Model S, along with turbine wheels and the slight joggle in the headlamp cover (seriously?). I had never noticed the abrupt diagonal of the rear door, and now I cannot un-see it...much like the bright lining under both doors that doesn't extend to the wheel well. But even so, I cannot wait to own this car, and admire its every curve...these "flaws" are infinitesimally nitpicky and minor, in comparison to the overall effect: understated elegance and concealed power.

Well, I agree with much of this, though not all. I've always felt the S wasn't as good looking as it could have been. To be fair to Franz, its better than anything I've seen at Mazda, though I've never particularly liked their cars either.

I agree with most of what they say, even if the tone is a bit condescending. With all the safety standards to abide by, particularly for a 'world car', it's not easy to be distinctive from the outside. As I described it to someone who'd not seen one, its like Ford and Jaguar made a baby in Korea :).

Condescending is the feeling I got as well. They also comment/criticized about the upper grill which is actually no longer present. They analyzed an older beta...

Look at any Lexus sedan (except current GS), and you will see bright chrome underneath the doors... I'm not really that put off by the strips of chrome, depending on the color. Looks best in dark colors. Worst in white/silver.

2013_Lexus_LS_460_002_A9CE94396FF1D4D026AF5D817D69A7B27869FDB7-thumb-530x374-21663.jpeg

2013-lexus-es-350-left-side-view.jpeg

Attachments

• 2013-lexus-rx-350-front-view.jpeg
    2013-lexus-rx-350-front-view.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 561
  • imgres.jpeg
    imgres.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 456
I forked over my $5,000 and I think they're mostly correct. Looks are decidedly "me too" and not the least bit exciting. It's what's under the skin that made me part with the bucks.

Same with the Roadster.

Nothing really to grab your eye but also nothing for the masses to find fault with.

The Model S is more chameleon than a Karma.

The roadster never did anything for me either in terms of looks. Within it's class, it just looked like another hot wheels car to me. I was never a fan of Lotus though, so Tesla was starting with a base design I wasn't fond of to begin with.

I think the Model S makes a stronger statement within it's class, though still lacks quite the visual punch of something like an Aston Martin. Comparing it to the Jaguar though, I definitely prefer the Model S.