Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Blog: The Tesla Approach to Distributing and Servicing Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you mean "New to us" (on TMC). New in relation on how to sell cars then YES!
Yea, the blog post isn't really aimed at us. It's aimed at folks with little knowledge about Tesla's sales strategy, something that the press will pick up and repeat.

Edit: and WSJ has already got something up referencing Elon's post, though it's subscription locked so I can't read more than the teaser paragraph.

Last edited:
Might be a PR piece to help with their legal battles with states that don't allow direct selling of cars by the manufacturer.

*edit* yeah, Elon directly mentions 2 lawsuits against them. Seems more a way to get their position out to the public.

I'm still not sure why Tesla just doesn't say it's all advertising. You can advertise in stores, billboards, TV, whatever. There are viral flash mob stuff that's "live" advertising, in addition to tours companies do as such that are all live. Seems like Tesla could just say the stores are a form of live advertising.

Maybe that's what Tesla is saying in different words when Elon talks about not selling cars and only being able to direct them to make a reservation.

I'm still not sure why Tesla just doesn't say it's all advertising. You can advertise in stores, billboards, TV, whatever. There are viral flash mob stuff that's "live" advertising, in addition to tours companies do as such that are all live. Seems like Tesla could just say the stores are a form of live advertising.

Maybe that's what Tesla is saying in different words when Elon talks about not selling cars and only being able to direct them to make a reservation.

That essentially is what they are saying. But it doesn't matter what you say when legal system is corrupt. I don't really doubt that dealerships plenty of political pull. Any law that is against fair competition (including rebates for EV's) should not exist.

I think if there is a chance for win, Tesla should counter sue. In line any loss for estimated trial costs, loss in goodwill, sales and stock value immediately due to the frivolous harassment.

- - - Updated - - -

That essentially is what they are saying. But it doesn't matter what you say when legal system is corrupt. I don't really doubt that dealerships plenty of political pull. Any law that is against fair competition (including rebates for EV's) should not exist.

I think if there is a chance for win, Tesla should counter sue. In line any loss for estimated trial costs, loss in goodwill, sales and stock value immediately due to the frivolous harassment.

I should add, that I know nothing about law. But this seems obvious to me that the hole thing is just anti-competitive arm bending.

Edit: and WSJ has already got something up referencing Elon's post, though it's subscription locked so I can't read more than the teaser paragraph.

This link works for me. But I remember when I read too many articles, there was subscription pop up blocking article content. And I was able to get rid of popup by disabling JavaScript in browser... Not sure, was it on NY Times or WSJ website though.

I find it extraordinarily interesting that one of the groups involved in one of the law suits actually demanded to be awarded a Tesla franchise! It sounds like it's time to nuke the dealership franchise protection laws and let the market sort it out!

I find it extraordinarily interesting that one of the groups involved in one of the law suits actually demanded to be awarded a Tesla franchise! It sounds like it's time to nuke the dealership franchise protection laws and let the market sort it out!

The irony is, they can't give them a franchise if they wanted to, since then they can never again open a single store of their own.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Responds To Critics Dealer Lawsuits

Some misunderstandings, especially point 1. Elon obviously meant that dealers weren't going to properly explain the advantages of electric cars, since that would be against their other business interests.

Which we have 10 years of data to back this up. Dealer salespeople have no incentive to spend hours explaining an all new technology for a customer to walk away. It's a loosing game for them in sales numbers.
We saw it with way back with the EV1 the Toyota RAV4 EV and now the Leaf and the Volt. Informed customers had to fight to buy those cars. Today's EVs buyer has a better experience than even when the cars fist came out because of corporate will has pounded the dealerships for two years into making sales.

A small maker like Tesla would not only not have any money or influence with the multi car dealer but would also be a small fish for the salesman with no cash sales incentives.

As I see it, Tesla will basically give them "the finger" and say F off. (as is their right) The auto group will then get themselves figuratively slapped w/ a cease and desist order and maybe a counter-suit from TM for libel. ... and the court's reply to dealerships will be: "Y'all could do that too."

Last edited:
This is funny. I learned something about USA reading about these issues. I thought USA was the home of the free and brave, and a capitalist society. These laws that prohibits companies to sell their own products is something you expect to find in Poland in the dark ages, or in Sweden 40 years ago.