Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll also probably want to install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 (1 less wire = costs less) on that run until the HPWC comes in.
From the ownership experience team regarding exactly this (for me):
If you are planning on purchasing a High Power Wall Connector in the future, we recommend installing a NEMA 6-50 outlet as a temporary solution in lieu of the HPWC. However, if you are only equipping your vehicle with a single charger and will not be purchasing the HPWC we recommend a NEMA 14-50 as the charging outlet.

I have attached guides for the 6-50, 14-50, and HPWC so you can make your decision.

temp-6-50.png

You'll also probably want to install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 (1 less wire = costs less) on that run until the HPWC comes in.
From the ownership experience team regarding exactly this (for me):

I definitely won't be installing a 6-50. I will pick my choice of adapters based on what's actually out there in the real world. I think Tesla is being foolish for recommending this (unless they are going to throw in another adapter for free).

It's my understanding that if you ordered a hpwc they do indeed throw in the 6-50 adapter for use in the interim. As I understood it from them (and my electrician), doing this makes for much easier wiring when the hpwc lands.

The adapters are supposedly $75 or something. I haven't found out yet. So unless your run from the panel to the plug is short, it may cost you more to install a 14-50 than to install a 6-50 (temporarily) and convert to the HPWC.

I was asked if I'd be installing an interim 14-50 or 6-50. I asked why and the response was I'd get a 6-50 adapter along with the others if I was getting a temporary 6-50.

I'm not having a 6-50 installed as interim since I'll use very little energy from home for the daily driving and can get that as an overnight charge. If desperate for a charge I can get 30A from the local mall or a nice man nearby has a Roadster adapter available at his office. ... I'll need to order a Roadster adapter for that and for the likely stopping point between here and my in-laws' place.

+1. You'll find 14-50 at RV campgrounds everywhere. You'll find 6-50 pretty much nowhere.

Actually, I find the 6-50R's in a lot of places -- maybe I frequent too many machine shops. :) The challenge with these is that they're usually indoors and sometimes away from any doors -- that said, they do work in a pinch.

I have a few 6-50R's already in my detached shop. When I did the wiring for the garage, though, I installed a 14-50R in bay 2 and when the HPWC arrives I'll do the wiring for it in bay 1 (where the S's home will be). The 14-50R was installed for future EV needs (and I can always use a simple adapter to plug my 6-50P equipped welder in).

I think the advantage of the 6-50 is that like the HPWC it only requires a three wire connection, where as the 14-50 requires a separate ground and neutral. Not a big difference, but it if you're pulling a wire, might as well pull the right one.

From Tesla Ownership Experience:

"The High Powered Wall Connector is still pending UL approval and will start shipping out once we have received that approval. We expect this to happen before the end of this year."