Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll also probably want to install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 (1 less wire = costs less) on that run until the HPWC comes in.
From the ownership experience team regarding exactly this (for me):
If you are planning on purchasing a High Power Wall Connector in the future, we recommend installing a NEMA 6-50 outlet as a temporary solution in lieu of the HPWC. However, if you are only equipping your vehicle with a single charger and will not be purchasing the HPWC we recommend a NEMA 14-50 as the charging outlet.

I have attached guides for the 6-50, 14-50, and HPWC so you can make your decision.

temp-6-50.png

You'll also probably want to install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 (1 less wire = costs less) on that run until the HPWC comes in.
From the ownership experience team regarding exactly this (for me):

I definitely won't be installing a 6-50. I will pick my choice of adapters based on what's actually out there in the real world. I think Tesla is being foolish for recommending this (unless they are going to throw in another adapter for free).

It's my understanding that if you ordered a hpwc they do indeed throw in the 6-50 adapter for use in the interim. As I understood it from them (and my electrician), doing this makes for much easier wiring when the hpwc lands.

The adapters are supposedly $75 or something. I haven't found out yet. So unless your run from the panel to the plug is short, it may cost you more to install a 14-50 than to install a 6-50 (temporarily) and convert to the HPWC.

I was asked if I'd be installing an interim 14-50 or 6-50. I asked why and the response was I'd get a 6-50 adapter along with the others if I was getting a temporary 6-50.

I'm not having a 6-50 installed as interim since I'll use very little energy from home for the daily driving and can get that as an overnight charge. If desperate for a charge I can get 30A from the local mall or a nice man nearby has a Roadster adapter available at his office. ... I'll need to order a Roadster adapter for that and for the likely stopping point between here and my in-laws' place.

+1. You'll find 14-50 at RV campgrounds everywhere. You'll find 6-50 pretty much nowhere.

Actually, I find the 6-50R's in a lot of places -- maybe I frequent too many machine shops. :) The challenge with these is that they're usually indoors and sometimes away from any doors -- that said, they do work in a pinch.

I have a few 6-50R's already in my detached shop. When I did the wiring for the garage, though, I installed a 14-50R in bay 2 and when the HPWC arrives I'll do the wiring for it in bay 1 (where the S's home will be). The 14-50R was installed for future EV needs (and I can always use a simple adapter to plug my 6-50P equipped welder in).

I think the advantage of the 6-50 is that like the HPWC it only requires a three wire connection, where as the 14-50 requires a separate ground and neutral. Not a big difference, but it if you're pulling a wire, might as well pull the right one.