Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 cars required to have air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just flipping through the Tesla website, and I was reminded of the disclaimer that all cars delivered in 2012 are required to have air suspension. Obviously the number of cars delivered in 2012 is ever changing. Does this change what people are ordering for suspension, knowing they will never get their cars in 2012? (I suppose this one could be difficult to answer since no one I am assuming has driven a model with standard suspension.)

I was talking to a reservation holder today; he told me that he chose the options that he thought would pose the fewest opportunities for delay in getting the car delivered! So, clearly, air suspension.

I thought you were going to ask a different, related question: will the "air only" rule carry forward further into early 2013, given the slower-than-anticipated production ramp?

what is the purpose of the air only for current deliveries? Is it just to keep the production line simple and not have two versions until the other kinks are worked through? Or is there some other reason to make it mandatory at the beginning?

Probably. And if there were another reason, I'd guess they've done this so that all the reviews are of the air suspension. And we all know that it's a great and comfortable ride. With all the trust drives friends will be getting, they'll all get the same message: it's fast and comfortable.

Or maybe they aren't done with non air suspensions yet? I haven't heard of anyone riding in it for try drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Typos on my iPad...

i wanted to say that maybe the non air suspension isn't done yet? Haven't heard of anyone test driving regular suspension.

what is the purpose of the air only for current deliveries? Is it just to keep the production line simple and not have two versions until the other kinks are worked through? Or is there some other reason to make it mandatory at the beginning?

My guess is the Model S was designed and tested with the air suspension. This allowed the engineers to test different setups with the same equipment. There were reports of 'different' suspension settings at the first Get Amped test drive. My guess is they decided on spring rate, and damper rate very late then ordered the fixed, and custom, springs. And these can take a while to get into the supply chain, and longer to test properly.

I thought you were going to ask a different, related question: will the "air only" rule carry forward further into early 2013, given the slower-than-anticipated production ramp?

Well, yes, although not specifically stated.

I am curious as to what made it a requirement for 2012? Was it specifically the number of vehicles estimated to be delivered in 2012? Was it to help batch production so as to minimize variability and increase production speed? Combination? Testing?

So, to redirect, yes. I am interested in whether this carries over to 2013 for the first, say 5000 vehicles (total 2012+2013)?

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is the Model S was designed and tested with the air suspension. This allowed the engineers to test different setups with the same equipment.

I suspect this as well, and I wonder with the current production/delivery/supplier issues whether the standard suspension has been completely tested. Just speculating and interested. It won't affect me so much as I plan on getting the air suspension, but for those who now know they can't get it in 2012, will this make a difference in what they order? Obviously this doesn't make a difference in those who have locked in, but for some who have P5xxx or P6xxxx who may be about to lock in, perhaps it would. Saving $1500 for some would be quite a lot or enable them to get another option/SC/etc.

I am curious as to what made it a requirement for 2012? Was it specifically the number of vehicles estimated to be delivered in 2012? Was it to help batch production so as to minimize variability and increase production speed? Combination? Testing?...

I had heard that they got a much better deal on the air suspension components if they agreed to use them exclusively in the first model year.
Not sure how any initial delivery delays might affect such an arrangement.

Hmm, I thought it was Continental, but:
2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance Suspension Walkaround
...This bellows (yellow) conceals an air spring that encircles a Bilstein monotube shock absorber that runs up the middle. They're optional on the Model S base model and come standard on the Performance, Signature and Signature Performance versions...
fe_9171217_600.jpg