Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parked & plugged in (storage mode) energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Virginia we recently got some snow so my car has been sitting in the garage sleeping and plugged in. While I haven't measured the power output at the wall , the car has lost distance while sleeping. I noticed when I woke her up to check for the 4.2 update. I was at 241 rated miles when initially completed the charge. Two days later it was at 221 rated miles. If the car is indeed pulling power from the wall at 4-5 kWh a day where is it going?

When I got in the car and woke it up it stated charging again and rose to 241 rated miles again. It doesn't seem as though my car is pulling any power from the wall when sleeping. This was on 4.1 (.31). I will observe what happens on 4.2 (.42).

In Virginia we recently got some snow so my car has been sitting in the garage sleeping and plugged in. While I haven't measured the power output at the wall , the car has lost distance while sleeping. I noticed when I woke her up to check for the 4.2 update. I was at 241 rated miles when initially completed the charge. Two days later it was at 221 rated miles. If the car is indeed pulling power from the wall at 4-5 kWh a day where is it going?

If the car was left plugged in for, say, a month would it just continue to lose charge all that time? Is there some point when the software says, okay time to top it up again? Or does it hold it at some optimum (for the battery) level at something like 60% ?

If the car was left plugged in for, say, a month would it just continue to lose charge all that time? Is there some point when the software says, okay time to top it up again? Or does it hold it at some optimum (for the battery) level at something like 60% ?
The car tops off about once every 24 hours, at least on software versions up to and including 4.1

Thanks. On the same theme of parked and plugged in, if away on an extended vacation, are you better to leave it plugged in to the HPWC or a NEMA 14-50 or would it be better to plug it into a 120v outlet? Or maybe it makes no difference?

At home, I don't see any reason to not use one of the first two choices. At someplace like an airport, the 120V solution is better because it frees up the high power chargers for someone who really needs it.

At home, I don't see any reason to not use one of the first two choices. At someplace like an airport, the 120V solution is better because it frees up the high power chargers for someone who really needs it.

That makes sense. I've seen a number of J1772 charging stations that have a 120 v outlets as well like this one:

16686CFB-8C6B-41FD-81E0-5657CAEDA6A8.JPG