Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Wheel Rotational Direction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JakeP

S P4996 ==> P02547
Apr 27, 2012
Bradfordwoods, PA
The new splash image on the Tesla homepage shows a Silver Model S whose turbine wheels appear to be installed in the "wrong" direction of rotation, compared to all the other images I recall seeing:

TMS Silver hero_motortrend_2012-10-19.jpg

Question for owners: is there a direction of rotation to the 21" wheels themselves, or does one side of the car always look like a jet engine, and the other side looks like a windmill, in terms of blade orientation? In other words, are there two wheels intended for the left side and two wheels for the right side, or are all four wheels identical?

If these are "backwards", would that impact aerodynamics or range at all?

From my trip to Dania Beach it appears there are not 'right hand' and 'left hand' turbine wheels. So one side will blow out and one side will blow in.

This is displayed in your photo, because almost all of Tesla's photos are of the drivers side.

From my trip to Dania Beach it appears there are not 'right hand' and 'left hand' turbine wheels. So one side will blow out and one side will blow in.

This is displayed in your photo, because almost all of Tesla's photos are of the drivers side.

So, to draft properly, you should be a very, very slight bit offset to one side of the vehicle. + your cornering performance will be better on right turns, barely :wink: