Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have problems with low volume from rear speakers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A post on the TM forum indicates a number of car recipients are experiencing problems with low or next to no sound from the rear speakers. I'm trying to assess whether this is a problem in a handful of cars or if it is a relatively universal problem across most cars. If you have received your car are you experiencing this problem as well? Thanks.

ddruz,

I am having a problem with that. At delivery, I believe I was getting full volume - I am not positive, but we played with the Fade/Balance touchscreen and didn't notice any drop off. Now, when I fade from front to rear, I lose about 90% of my volume. I have reported to my delivery guy, but haven't heard back yet. I will let you know what I hear. I did take a look in the owner's manual to see if maybe it was a fuse on an amp or something, but the only fuse in the manual that looked like it might make sense covers several other parts of the car and is in the untouchable "Fuse Box 1".

ddruz,

I am having a problem with that. At delivery, I believe I was getting full volume - I am not positive, but we played with the Fade/Balance touchscreen and didn't notice any drop off. Now, when I fade from front to rear, I lose about 90% of my volume. I have reported to my delivery guy, but haven't heard back yet. I will let you know what I hear. I did take a look in the owner's manual to see if maybe it was a fuse on an amp or something, but the only fuse in the manual that looked like it might make sense covers several other parts of the car and is in the untouchable "Fuse Box 1".

Dave,

Is there a means by which you can turn on and off Dolby Pro Logic?

Larry

Just tested this. You're right, it's the Dolby. With that on, the speakers in the middle of the car (rear doors -- not in the hatch) do not produce sound. Only the ones all the way back in the hatch door do.
That said, those speakers (in the rear doors) don't sound as good as the front ones.

Just tested this. You're right, it's the Dolby. With that on, the speakers in the middle of the car (rear doors -- not in the hatch) do not produce sound. Only the ones all the way back in the hatch door do.
That said, those speakers (in the rear doors) don't sound as good as the front ones.

I hope they have a plan for more sound field settings other than ProLogic.

So I received my car on Sunday, and tested this during delivery. If I turn fade 100% to the rear, then I see the same problem noted here... the rear door speakers don't put out any sound, and only the soundbar in the rear hatch makes noise. BUT -- if I turn fade to just like 95% rear, then the rear door speakers suddenly come alive with very reasonable (and expected) volume.

For some reason, they've chosen to implement 100% rear in a funny way.

So I received my car on Sunday, and tested this during delivery. If I turn fade 100% to the rear, then I see the same problem noted here... the rear door speakers don't put out any sound, and only the soundbar in the rear hatch makes noise. BUT -- if I turn fade to just like 95% rear, then the rear door speakers suddenly come alive with very reasonable (and expected) volume.

Interesting! Looks like the speakers are more discrete than initially though.

Ben,

I might be worth experimenting with various content. If there isn't a lot of surround sound imbedded in the main channels, then ProLogic won't be extracting it and routing it to the surround speakers.

Larry

Michael,

Were these observations made with Dolby ProLogic on or off?

Larry

Larry: I tried it again this morning, and saw identical behavior (while playing a stereo track from my iPhone via bluetooth) regardless of whether Dolby was turned on or off. I was sitting in the front seat the whole time, so I didn't measure things "super-carefully," but I detected no discernable difference in my car's fade behavior due to Dolby being on vs off.