Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UIUC Alumni newsletter ("Resonance"), M. Eberhard/Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't post this earlier, since I got tied up with work (incl, UIUC went to the Rose Bowl)

I got my Fall 2007 Resonance a few months ago:

ECE Illinois - Resonance - U of I
http://www.ece.uiuc.edu/news/resonance/pdf/FALL-2007.pdf#tesla

Note the typo of "8,051 processors"..they mean Intel 8051 processor! I didn't realize it until now, but he & I had the same MS thesis advisor (R. Uribe of ADSL/Advanced Digital Systems Lab)! We both had the mentor of Prof Ed Davidson (Computer Architecture), who ended up being EE Dept Head/Univ of Michigan. I last spoke with him in 2001, about 1 of my projects.

Background:

We both started out at AARG/Advanced Automation Research Group @CSL (Coordinated Science Laboratory), as summer interns..I started in summer of '79 (Stanford robot arm connected to PDP-11/45), Martin started in '81 (hi-speed image buffer connected to PDP-11/45).

[ AARG was basically the Robotics/Computer Vision/Artificial Intelligence Lab @UIUC/Electrical Eng Dept., following in the footsteps of MIT & Stanford (2 big guns in AI/Artificial Intelligence research). ]

Martin was working (executing the wire-wrapping, based on design by Rod F.) on the High Speed Image Buffer (Air Force funded project), which utilized the latest GE/General Electric CCD cameras. Another young guy, an MIT EE major A. Chien (son of R. Chien, AARG head & CSL Director, who is now Director of Intel Research & VP of Corporate Technology Group) was there too. Imagine this picture: A. Chien mischieviously spraying M. Eberhard (while assembling a PC board) with a bottle of water, myself looking on! 25 years later, these 2 are movers/shakers in the computer industry.

[ just 25 ft away was Steve Cross (AI PhD in '84) went thru CMU (SEI/Software Engineering Inst) & is now Vice President of Georgia-Tech & President of GTRI. GTRI is involved with some automotive-related projects, e.g. ONR/Office of Naval Research & NASCAR. His ex-GaTech colleague is now President of Caltech ]

Another PhD candidate Bill H.: his dad ran the whole Technology Park in Taiwan. Hint: he could be a REAL useful contact for any outsourcing of Tesla hardware (e.g., motor). Rod F. (last I heard) was working for his company.

Dr. Larry S. (computational astrophysicist, galactic modeling) visited AARG to check out the CCD cameras (connected to the hi-speed image buffer, the boards which Martin wire-wrapped, I contributed an interface board as well). You see, this was the beginning of the CCD sensors, which revolutionized astronomical observation. He started the NCSA/National Center for Supercomputing Applications (Prof. Ed Davidson signed off on it along with other UIUC profs), which led to NCSA Mosaic (M. Andreesen/Netscape fame, & Spyglass Software which developed Internet Explorer). He is now at CalIT2, which is a Technology R&D arm of UCSD/UCI. There are some automotive related projects there.

..your Character defines your Destiny..

Martin was a likeable guy, gregarious. I can still remember him bent over at his desk (we shared the same office), reading. Somehow I got over to his apartment (east of Lincoln Av) via his black '67 mustang (?). I remember this long shelf lined with books. Science fiction? He was a great reader, which explains his Nuvomedia startup (e-book). His interest in cars, led to Tesla Motors. I guess his personal interests dictated his startups! I kinda remember his girlfriend (Carolyn?) in the background, long dark hair. I remember a story of him driving cross country, lying on the hood of his mustang, observing meteor showers!

I do remember my officemate telling me that Martin got his masters in '84 (hired at Wyse), as I was finishing my PhD there.

UIUC alumni/Caltech/MIT & ME's "Next Step"

I've been observing the Tesla Motors "drama" (an "engineering issue" created a "personnel issue"), & there is possibly a solution. Keyphrase: EV R&D program, wealthy capitalists (some worth billions), multimedia

"..deals are what make the world go 'round.."

"Winning In Business, as in War, requires making alliances"
-- Download: The True Story of the Internet

The "pieces of the puzzle" involve a convergence of Multimedia & AI/Robotics/Computer Vision people from UIUC, MIT, Caltech. My Jumplive.com project led me to all sorts of contacts in Racing, including Xtrac (who is heavily involved in Racing: Formula 1, IndyCar, Offroad) & DARPA Grand Challenge (attended by S. Brin/L. Page of Google, & S. Wozniak). A UIUC '94 PhD AI alumni (same dept/specialty as Martin & me) is VP/Director of Research of XX, who did the DARPA GC live satellite vehicle-tracking & multimedia. We did a successful test at the '06 Baja 500. 2 of the Youtube founders are UIUC alumni (& ex-Paypal employees), S. Chen was on the same Yahoo! video-blogging email list I was on (directly related to the iTunes video-podcast solution, which I'm into. see below)

The MIT connection is an AI PhD (famous, same generation as me & Martin), who has a small think-tank company near Burbank airport (where Martin flies out of). I only found out recently that Martin is in Sierra Madre, nearby my location. (I'm in Pasadena, 2 blocks from Caltech).

There's a HEP (High Energy Physics) connection as well, their funding source is DoE (Dept of Energy). The Provost & Vice-Provost of Caltech are physicists, who are really into the Green Movement. A book "Out of Gas" was written, & the Provost is on leave to BP/British Petroleum to force a paradigm shift. Goto iTunes Store, & do a search on "string theory", "theoretical physics", etc. Buried there is a lead to that billionaire philanthropist.

I ran into A. Cocconi (his parents are both CERN particle physicists) at the Rose Bowl (popular spot for electric R/C airplane flying) last summer. I asked him about EV & I could tell from his body language: "been there, done that" (the GM EV1 debacle got killed due to politics).

Good read below:

The End of the Age of Oil
THE END OF THE AGE OF OIL

The fact that these and similar scientific and technical efforts are under way at Caltech and elsewhere are encouraging, but they are not enough. What we really need is leadership with the courage and vision to talk to us as John F. Kennedy did in 1960, when he pledged to put a man on the moon by the end of the decade. It’s the same kind of problem. We understand the basic underlying scientific principles, but we have huge technical problems to overcome.
The Roadster tranny problem was a "huge technical" problem (Xtrac, et al simply couldn't deal with it), which can be traced to a (politician) leadership "vision" issue. This is why I'm mentioning all these R&D contacts above, they need to be brought together (grass roots=bottom-up or political=top-down)

What is the next step?

Attachments

• 2007-fall-cover.jpg
    2007-fall-cover.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited: