Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
The special coating on the windshield seems to create problems for some RF or RFID devices. There is a non-coated clear spot on the windshield just above the rear view mirror that allowed me to place my automatic gate opener so that it would work. It wouldn’t operate properly anywhere else on the windshield. I’m wondering whether SunPass (the Fl equivalent to EasyPass) will work on the FL Turnpike). Haven’t tried it yet.

I think you may be right. The garage door opener I have to use for the common garage I park at home in doesn't work through the windshield. I've often been able to get it to work in that same area you mention ... but sometimes I just have to roll my window down in order to get it to work :frown:
I haven't tried EasyPass yet as I don't have my license plates yet ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may be right. The garage door opener I have to use for the common garage I park at home in doesn't work through the windshield. I've often been able to get it to work in that same area you mention ... but sometimes I just have to roll my window down in order to get it to work :frown:

My handheld garage door unit absolutely does NOT transmit through the windshield, but it works fine through the side windows.

Not sure of the software version, but it was updated last Sunday, so I'm assuming it's the most recent version. It's a unique warning sound (sort of "bing-bong" repeated until you correct) and occurs when the car is moving slowly with one foot on the accel and another on the brake.

Last edited by a moderator:

If the windshield is shielded and since the Model S ineloquently does not have power folding mirrors and yet costs 100 thousand ridiculous dollars, my solution to open the garage door with my remote will be to 1) roll down the window, 2) stick my hand out with the remote and push the button, and 3) pull in the driver's side view mirror so I can park into my garage.

Isn't this supposed to be a "high-tech" car? It's honestly almost laughable.

If the windshield is shielded and since the Model S ineloquently does not have power folding mirrors and yet costs 100 thousand ridiculous dollars, my solution to open the garage door with my remote will be to 1) roll down the window, 2) stick my hand out with the remote and push the button, and 3) pull in the driver's side view mirror so I can park into my garage.

Isn't this supposed to be a "high-tech" car? It's honestly almost laughable.

Why would you use your remote instead of Homelink?

I know we had some previous discussions on the forum about this with regards to Roadsters that have the coated windshield.

Anyways, here is some related info:
E-ZPass New Jersey - Vehicles Requiring Exterior Tags
...equipped with special windshields that contain metal in the glass(metal oxide) that prevents the E-ZPass tag from being read properly. Windshields with solar ray glass, solar tint, heated or heat reflective windshields, and insulated or Insta-Clear glass may also prevent the tag from being read properly. Customers with these windshields might need to obtain exterior tags...

ez pass | Audi A8 | Autos Audis

Solar Coated Windshield - 5Series.net - Forums
...factory ones usually have a little area by the mirror for you to mount transponders. Our E65 has the solar windshield and it's pretty obvious where the non-covered area is. the windshield does have a pinkish tint to it from certain angles...

Maybe he's not getting the Tech Package???

P gotta Sig. I assume the tech package comes with Sig series, no?

But on the other side of things, this is ridiculous. Did anyone actually test these cars our just design the engine and start selling them?

Get out of car to fold mirrors.
Roll down windows to use EZ Pass
Roll down windows to use garage door opener.
If homelink doesn't work, try 100 times to get it recognized, otherwise, use roll down window technique.
Ship incomplete car; install child seats for "most precious cargo" later
Cubby later
Blurry windshield causing some to get nauseated
Squeaky sun roof
Unraveling B pillar leather
Wipers too slow
Handles get stuck in cold weather
Glove box holds max of one wooden pencil and one business envelope
Still two cup holders, four if you get child seats (see above)
Rely on innovative Tesla customer to design and sell cup holder and storage device for luxury priced car
No "Oh ****" handles
Get sunroof so head doesn't touch roof in back
defroster?
Windshield vent?

Best. Car. Ever!

Are you fine with these basic problems?

No, although I don't regard many of them as basic but then I'm used to a rattling, squeaky Roadster with no storage space, no cup holders, in fact most of the items on that list apply to the Roadster, that is still the most fun car I've ever driven bar none!

BTW, as TEG points out above the Roadster also has the coated windshield but I never experienced any problems with handheld garage door openers.