Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

Blog Entries

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

Quote Originally Posted by Soflauthor View Post
    The special coating on the windshield seems to create problems for some RF or RFID devices. There is a non-coated clear spot on the windshield just above the rear view mirror that allowed me to place my automatic gate opener so that it would work. It wouldn’t operate properly anywhere else on the windshield. I’m wondering whether SunPass (the Fl equivalent to EasyPass) will work on the FL Turnpike). Haven’t tried it yet.
    I think you may be right. The garage door opener I have to use for the common garage I park at home in doesn't work through the windshield. I've often been able to get it to work in that same area you mention ... but sometimes I just have to roll my window down in order to get it to work
    I haven't tried EasyPass yet as I don't have my license plates yet ...
    Last edited by NigelM; 2012-10-18 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Copied post from another thread and separated into 2
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    I think you may be right. The garage door opener I have to use for the common garage I park at home in doesn't work through the windshield. I've often been able to get it to work in that same area you mention ... but sometimes I just have to roll my window down in order to get it to work
    My handheld garage door unit absolutely does NOT transmit through the windshield, but it works fine through the side windows.

Not sure of the software version, but it was updated last Sunday, so I'm assuming it's the most recent version. It's a unique warning sound (sort of "bing-bong" repeated until you correct) and occurs when the car is moving slowly with one foot on the accel and another on the brake.
    Last edited by NigelM; 2012-10-18 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Copied partial post from another thread

EasyPass works perfectly right below the mirror mount.

Doesn't work on either side. Wonder what they do about that when you have no plate?
    Roadster 1.5 #227 / Model S Sig. Perf. SSL #147 - VIN #242

If the windshield is shielded and since the Model S ineloquently does not have power folding mirrors and yet costs 100 thousand ridiculous dollars, my solution to open the garage door with my remote will be to 1) roll down the window, 2) stick my hand out with the remote and push the button, and 3) pull in the driver's side view mirror so I can park into my garage.

Isn't this supposed to be a "high-tech" car? It's honestly almost laughable.
    Model S Signature Performance

Quote Originally Posted by pguerra View Post
    If the windshield is shielded and since the Model S ineloquently does not have power folding mirrors and yet costs 100 thousand ridiculous dollars, my solution to open the garage door with my remote will be to 1) roll down the window, 2) stick my hand out with the remote and push the button, and 3) pull in the driver's side view mirror so I can park into my garage.

Isn't this supposed to be a "high-tech" car? It's honestly almost laughable.
    Why would you use your remote instead of Homelink?

Can anyone confirm that ez pass works by holding it up in front of left side of windshield? What about the frunk? I don't mount mine. Thx
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by contaygious View Post
    Can anyone confirm that ez pass works by holding it up in front of left side of windshield? What about the frunk? I don't mount mine. Thx
    I can confirm that it will NOT work anywhere on the left side of the windshield. It will also not work left or right of the rear view mirror mount. It will work right below the mirror mount.
    Roadster 1.5 #227 / Model S Sig. Perf. SSL #147 - VIN #242

Dang it why would they do this? Anyone willing to try the frunk?
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Just hold it up with your right hand, directly below the rear-view mirror. You'll be keeping the EZPass in the little cubby beneath the touchscreen, so that'll be easy.

Coated windshields are a common feature on Mercedes. It's a low-e metallic coating that reflects heat. In the summer that keeps the heat out, and in the winter it helps keep the heat in.
    Model S VIN 03278 1/17/13. P85, Black, Black leather, 21" greys, carbon trim, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Thread Information