Page 2 of 323 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

That email could have been sent out a month ago. As soon as they started reaching forward in the reservation numbers, they should have realized that cars would be delivered out of sequence. Communication has always been Tesla's greatest weakness. Is it Elon's Achilles's heel? Even if it is, George as a marketing guy should know how valuable proper communication is to keeping customers happy.

I appreciate, as always, George's contributions here and fairly direct phrasing. The words give me some hope, though assuaging the concerns/worries I've developed will be based in the deeds: useful communications, cars delivered on time, etc. Tesla often mentions being more like a tech company than a car company, which is usually good, but of late it's been too many of the less desirable tech cliches (it's 90% there, almost ready, just a couple bugs left, we'll fix that in a patch, etc...). Having been in far too many of those types of software projects, I know it feels horrible on either side of that customer/provider relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by steve841 View Post
    I just got the GB email and appreciate the explanation... But it raised a question.

Exactly what does, "making changes to the Performance Model" mean?
    They replaced the CF elements on the lower parts of the car with the same plastic used in non-Perf cars. The CF was getting damaged too easily.

I just got the GB email and appreciate the explanation... But it raised a question.

Exactly what does, "making changes to the Performance Model" mean?
    I am pretty sure he means the removal of the Carbon Fiber on the low points of the car.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Ok.. I recall that. I figured since that change was some time ago, there was a new modification being made.
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

Ok.. I recall that. I figured since that change was some time ago, there was a new modification being made.
    It takes a long time to make a change like that. First you have to cancel all of your orders for the carbon fiber bits. Then make sure you can make the same bit out of plastic, and most likely change it. Then have someone make up a die and make a few test bits. Then you have to find someone that can supply thousands of those parts.

And then other things come up like will it paint properly?
    Will it look acceptable?
    Is it going to stay on once it gets ran onto a sidewalk?

... and so on. 'Little' stuff like that can takes months to get ironed out.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

I hope George isn't saying that the 2 week delay we heard about over the last week or so is really going to be 4 to 6 weeks. In my book 2 to 4 of those weeks have already happened to any of us Signature buyers that had delivery windows given to them this month.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    It takes a long time to make a change like that. First you have to cancel all of your orders for the carbon fiber bits. Then make sure you can make the same bit out of plastic, and most likely change it. Then have someone make up a die and make a few test bits. Then you have to find someone that can supply thousands of those parts.

And then other things come up like will it paint properly?
    Will it look acceptable?
    Is it going to stay on once it gets ran onto a sidewalk?

... and so on. 'Little' stuff like that can takes months to get ironed out.
    The only flaw with that logic, which makes absolute sense, is that they already had existing parts for non perf models. So, other than a supply issue, there'd be no logical reason to "change" the perf model, just use what's in the bin.
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

CDN Sig 2114, P85D order Jgdixon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Hi everyone,

I know the last few months have been quite frustrating surrounding two issues: Model S delivery dates and the sequence of deliveries. Our communication on these two issues has been weak at best. There are reasons for this, but it will only sound like an excuse if I try to explain them, so I will not.

What you need to know is that we have been intensely, intensely working on these issues. A personal communication will be going out today to all Signature reservation holders that have not received their car (or are scheduled to receive their car in the next few days). This communication will explain at a high level what has happened and what will happen going forward.

For those who have been caught up in this whirlwind of issues, I apologize for the inconvenience. Our first communication to help take care of this will be out soon.

Sincerely, GeorgeB
    George
    Someone posted your email already, which I didn't get. How does all this impact Canadian Signature reservation holders?
    thanks

There are reasons for this, but it will only sound like an excuse if I try to explain them, so I will not.
    I'm going to save this line in my toolbox if you don't mind George. I'm sure it will come in handy someday.

Thread Information