Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear view camera? (TM selects Omnivision)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
So, what is being used today and I wonder when they'll incorporate these into the assembly line?

OmniVision's OV10630 Selected by Tesla Motors to Enable Advanced Rear-View Camera Application - Yahoo! Finance

Sounds like this would be a great camera with HDR and great low light abilities. Big aperture or great software or both!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it might already be the camera every Model S has, but it's not crystal clear that is the case from this statement

"OmniVision's OV10630 delivers extremely high performance on a single chip," said Satish Jeyachandran, senior manager, hardware development at Tesla Motors. "Its ability to provide high quality HD video allowed us to design and integrate the industry's first HD camera into our 17-inch infotainment system. The quality and field-of-view of the images provide Model S drivers an unparalleled driving experience even in challenging lighting conditions."

In a good way. I believe in Cinergi's videos (see other thread) he mentioned the excellent low-light capabilities of the back-up camera.
Great. I thought the "shocked" part was meant in a bad way as the post began with "I was amazed" to be followed with "But I was shocked". My bad :)

I just assumed the need for low-light capabilities was reduced by using powerful reverse lights :) But would still prefer sensors.

Another supplier just released information...

Now we know we can use 10 fingers for multi-touch experience on the screen! :cool:

Tesla Motors Inc : Tesla Selects Cypress's TrueTouch® Solution to Implement World's First Fully-Integrated Touchscreen Infotainment System in Model S | 4-Traders

My point, would it be useful to open special thread where we will track such information? It could give some insight about technologies used by Tesla...

PS. If first post of such hypothetical thread would be wiki, I will be adding info to it...

Thanx Todd.
The rear view camera does not have those 'runway' overlay guides that ALL my past rear back-up cameras have had both OEM and aftermarket.
Again, seems like a rather simple fix that the supplier should have. My 2 cents! :cursing: