Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#1181 - White - SALVAGE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Tesla : Roadster S tesla in Tesla | eBay Motors

047.jpg

Looks like it was previously sold from Copart auction back on June 14:

Cheap TESLA ROADSTER for sale in FL - WEST PALM BEACH offer $28000 2011 year cheap vehicle | Copart Auto Auction Broker Lot 15978372

Salvage TESLA ROADSTER 2011 for sale, vin: 5YJRE1A3XB1001181 in FAIRFIELD, CA, 94534, USA, color: WHITE, price: 36250.00

Last edited:
If I were to purchase this car, where would I take it for repairs (in California). Would Tesla itself be the place to have the work done, or are there any good body shops that also know how to work on Roadsters, or a combination of bodywork done by a body shop and the other parts done in Menlo Park or some other Tesla repair shop.

The hardest part of the repair would be the side where the vent/rear of the passenger cabin is torn off. That CF shell is 'glued" to the frame and doesn't look like an easy job to remove or put back on. I wouldn't really trust a bodyshop with that work unless they're experts at CF repair and have a good understanding of the roadster's build. I saw a white roadster that was being rebuilt from salvage at Telsa, Menlo Park, and viewed that center cabin CF structure and asked about it. Just looking at that and knowing how its permanently fit does not make it an easy and inexpensive repair. Hence the salvage title. I don't think the frame is hurt from this impact.

Also its really odd how this roadster's been passed around, starting in FL, sold there, then shipped out to CA. 15K markup or so possibly for putting back on the rear bumper and lights.... also why'd they back out of repairing it? My assumption was cost, they didn't know how specialized that damage is, and with specialization / unique parts the cost is driven very high.

As for the crash, looks like it was rear-ended lightly but that pushed the roadster into a car or some other structure that damaged the side. The rear bumper-cover, lights, etc that look new appear that they may have been from the 1st person trying to resurrect this roadster and bailed due to the cost of repair.

I also noticed the CF hardtop is chipped and damaged, the front right corner. It wasn't damaged in the pics where the rear-end is off. Another problem when cars change hands so quickly amongst people.

Last edited:
Does the car even run? I messaged the ebay seller but got no reply.

From the ebay pic, there's no status coming back from the battery... usually if the mileage shows I'd suspect the battery status would appear. I don't see any battery icon. I don't know what gets displayed on that readout if the 12v aux. battery dies or if the main battery pack is bricked. Something tells me that the odometer is driven off the aux batt and the main pack the battery status/readout:

085.jpg

This doesn't look good, water sprayed around the console. Wasn't cared for while it was sitting from my impression of this. Could be over spray from the wash hose and not rain but still... I wouldn't have soaked it:

15978372_8X.JPG

Last edited:
High likelihood the battery is damaged from charging neglect. If price was low enough, one could buy it and eventually find an appropriate Lotus donor chassis with a blown ICE, add a new(possibly improved) battery and voila you have a winner.

It has now been relisted by the same seller at $45,900. Not only did they increase the price, but they now have noted that the car does not run or drive, and as others have speculated, I think they may not have the car plugged in so it might be "bricked". They never did answer any of my emails from the first listing, but some were answered with the second posting. I don't think they are going to have much luck at this price if it not only needs the body and frame work, but also a new battery pack. It will be interesting to see what happens to this car in the future. Perhaps Tesla will purchase this for parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tesl...rs_Trucks&hash=item416d61211c#ht_35918wt_1166