Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Different Approach to Valet Instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I valeted (is that a word?) my car for the first time over the weekend, and there was a lot of arm waving. The car survived the experience, but it occurred to me that there had to be a backup approach.

So … I decided to create a simple instruction sheet for valets, post it on the web, assign the page to my Model S browser as a “favorite,” and then call it up (full screen) just before I get to the valet stand. That way, a simple set of driving instructions for the Model S is on the Model S display as the valet gets in. He/she can read as required and potentially embarrassing situations might be avoided. It can also be useful if you lend your Model S to a friend (yeah … right ;))

I’ve posted the Valet Instruction Sheet as a public service at the new website supporting our center console insert (CCI):

teslaccessories.com

You’ll find it under “Valet” in the top navigation bar.

If you find errors, omissions, or ambiguities, let me know here and I'll correct them. Hope you find the instructions (and the website) informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I valeted (is that a word?) my car for the first time over the weekend, and there was a lot of arm waving. The car survived the experience, but it occurred to me that there had to be a backup approach.

If you find errors, omissions, or ambiguities, let me know here and I'll correct them. Hope you find the instructions (and the website) informative.

Some tiny suggestions:

3c probably a typo: card instead of car; might be misleading

Fob or fob: inconsistent usage

Or ... just don't let the valet drive the car. I've found that most valets want nice cars out front, are happy to let you park in a valet spot IF you leave your key behind. I've always refused to let them get behind the wheel and I've always been allowed to park in the valet area. Just smile a lot and say 'no way'.

Nice website. And I like the idea of easy to bring up instructions. But I still wouldn't let a valet take the car.

SOFLAuthor,

That is a great idea. It might be worth it to repeat the instructions in (Google Translate) Spanish below the English. I have ran into trouble trying to give instructions with a language barrier valeting my LEAF.

This is something Tesla should when they implement Valet mode. Have the instructions showing on half the screen and backup camera on the other half.

TM should add a valet mode screen as you have outlined (excellent work SoFLo), and I think this has been mentioned on other threads, but when you would enable valet mode with this instruction screen, there should be a hidden option to limit top speed to say 55 and cut acceleration by half or so.

No joy riding in my car without me present! ;)

edit: Future update option, maybe you could set "Valet" as a driver profile - with constraints you can tailor?

Or ... just don't let the valet drive the car. I've found that most valets want nice cars out front, are happy to let you park in a valet spot IF you leave your key behind. I've always refused to let them get behind the wheel and I've always been allowed to park in the valet area. Just smile a lot and say 'no way'.

Nice website. And I like the idea of easy to bring up instructions. But I still wouldn't let a valet take the car.

Me too. I'll pay for valet parking, and even tip, as long as they don't set foot in the car. Only had trouble once, and in that case they simply lost a customer.

So … I decided to create a simple instruction sheet for valets, post it on the web, assign the page to my Model S browser as a “favorite,” and then call it up (full screen) just before I get to the valet stand. That way, a simple set of driving instructions for the Model S is on the Model S display as the valet gets in. He/she can read as required and potentially embarrassing situations might be avoided. It can also be useful if you lend your Model S to a friend (yeah … right ;))

Does this count as the first web App for the Model S?

Soflauthor:
Thank you! One suggestion--most fobs require clicking a button. If the valet tries that with the Tesla fob, he will either open the frunk, the trunk or get all 4 windows to roll down. Suggest adding as a 2nd sentence: "Do not click or depress the fob--just carry it with you into the car to drive and carry it out with you after parking to lock the car."