Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found electromagnetic parking sensor system for front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the HD backup camera, parking sensors are not necessary on the rear of the Model S. But the front is another story, and that's where, without sensors, the bumper is most vulnerable to damage. I should know -- it's where I've scraped several of my car's front bumpers.

For the past several days I've been searching for a front sensor system that will not require drilling holes in the bumper. I finally found one this morning. It appears to have been developed for the UK market. The "sensor" is a metallic tape strip that lines the interior of the front bumper from side to side. It will require removal of the front bumper for installation, but that's usually not too difficult.

I'll order a set soon and have it installed on my S when it arrives.

If any others are interested, here's a link to the site:No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor

With the HD backup camera, parking sensors are not necessary on the rear of the Model S. But the front is another story, and that's where, without sensors, the bumper is most vulnerable to damage. I should know -- it's where I've scraped several of my car's front bumpers.

For the past several days I've been searching for a front sensor system that will not require drilling holes in the bumper. I finally found one this morning. It appears to have been developed for the UK market. The "sensor" is a metallic tape strip that lines the interior of the front bumper from side to side. It will require removal of the front bumper for installation, but that's usually not too difficult.

I'll order a set soon and have it installed on my S when it arrives.

If any others are interested, here's a link to the site:No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor

That is amazing. The one thing this car is missing for me is the alert for parking. I was considering deferring until the added it but increasing repairs in my 2004 Acura TL has led me to order already. Would be great if there was a visual too :(

Wonder how effective this will be for managing "curbing" on the right side to protect our wheels? Will the front version give you enough indication as you pull to a curb, or do you have to consider a right-side version? Hmm.

The kit for the front bumper arrived today. Quite compact and simple to install and the sensor extends around the sides of the bumper, thereby sounding warnings for side curb rash and rim protection. Here are a few photos.

DSC_2328.JPG

The ECU is in the upper middle. It has DIP switches to set four different levels of sensitivity. The small speaker and wiring is on the left. The metal foil sensor strip is in the bottom center. It's about 1/2 wide, self sticks to the inside of the bumper, and is long enough to line the entire bumper from right wheel well to left. Everything connects to the ECU and the speaker is mounted in a hidden place in the cockpit.

A cool device for sure and it looks like the most complicated part of the installation will be bumper removal.

DSC_2329.JPG

This is the foil strip rolled up.

DSC_2330.JPG

Now all I need is the car with bumper to install it on. Cheering for a speedy production ramp up!

Sweet! I will probably do this too.

This looks like a great solution, but a Tesla rep strongly hinted that these might be added at some point. At the Get Amped event, I asked about whether the car had front/rear proximity sensors and the guy gave me a big smile and said "not yet..." I heard elsewhere that the car is even pre-wired for sensors. No confirmation on this, but I thought it was interesting.

Thanks for the research, you're a good sport. (I find it very amusing that you have the kit already when Tesla has to produce another 8,000 cars before they get to yours. P.S. I mean that in a nice way.)

Believe me, I actually appreciate your comment. When I buy a new car and have to wait for delivery, I obtain in advance all of the things I'm planning to add or modify. There's not much on the Model S that needs to be added, but this was one major area of concern, as I've done damage to other cars without sensors. Of course, I could be trumped if Tesla adds bumper sensors between now and the time they build my car, but there's not much $ at risk. And if Tesla adds sensors will they be of this type? I hope so, as they appear to be far superior to the usual ultrasonic proximity detectors.

When I bought my S2000 more than 10 years ago, my dealer had a 7 month waiting list. So I've learned to be patient but also to be prepared when the car is delivered.

The same way it was allegedly pre-wired for electric-folding mirrors? :/ Honestly, at this point, I don't believe any such rumors from a Tesla person. It'd be great if it came to pass, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding this sensor, I wonder how the metal framework built into the "nose cone" will affect it. Hopefully there's some sort of calibration step where you set the baseline for the sensor, and then it just senses changes away from that baseline.

The same way it was allegedly pre-wired for electric-folding mirrors? :/ Honestly, at this point, I don't believe any such rumors from a Tesla person. It'd be great if it came to pass, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding this sensor, I wonder how the metal framework built into the "nose cone" will affect it. Hopefully there's some sort of calibration step where you set the baseline for the sensor, and then it just senses changes away from that baseline.

According to the installation instructions as long as the sensor strip is aligned a few inches from any metal framework in the bumper it will work just fine. I don't know what the backside of the bumper looks like (if anyone has a photo please post it), but there seem to be several workable paths to glue down the sensor strip along the entire length of the bumper.

I can't find it right now, but somewhere I've seen a photo of some Tesla guys working on a thin metal framework that appears to be part of the nose cone/grille area. Since the front bumper is actually behind the nose cone, that seems like where you'd want to run this sensor...