Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - reservation speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another thread to share your prognostications.

1) When will Tesla accept reservations for Gen III?
2) How many reservations will they receive in the first month?

My guesses -
1) 12 months prior to launch
2) 5,000 units in the first month assuming they hits a mass market price point

• Funny
Reactions: doublejj
Did people who went to the Model S and X unveil events get first dibs on putting down reservations? If so, how does one gain entry to the BlueStar unveil event? Do I just call Tesla and say, "I have a check ready and want to make a deposit, so can I please come to the unveiling?" I want to be as close to the top of the list as I possibly can.

Did people who went to the Model S and X unveil events get first dibs on putting down reservations? If so, how does one gain entry to the BlueStar unveil event? Do I just call Tesla and say, "I have a check ready and want to make a deposit, so can I please come to the unveiling?" I want to be as close to the top of the list as I possibly can.

I think that Model S Sig reservation holders got the invite (and thus the first shot at X reservations) to the X event.

I imagine that it will be a similar demographic invited to the Gen III event, when it occurs. Shame, because I would also love a shot to be first in line.

Invitations to the Model X unveil event went to S Sig holders and Roadster owners. Deposits were taken that evening, reservations opened the next day at noon to the public. Once you hear about the event, start working the TMC crowd and ask to go as someone's guest :).

I actually emailed Tesla last week to ask to be put on whatever invite list might be created before this thread was started. Interesting timing. No response from Tesla so far and none really expected at this point. When I cancelled my Model S reservation I asked them if I could put my money on a GENIII and they said it was not possible at this time. They also mentioned they had received many other requests.

I am curious if they will have a Signature reservation list as with the Model S. I assume they will but how many will be on the Signature list and what will the reservation cost be? If they really plan to eventually build this car in the 200K/year range than a few thousand Signatures will only be a about a weeks worth of production. As a signature reservation holder you would only get your car at most a few weeks early (counting the production ramp-up time). Curious to see how TM will handle this.

Either way, I will write a check the moment they let me.

I would imagine the reservation for a GEN3 would be somewhere between 1k and 3k for a lower cost of entry. That's what I would do. It would entice the demographic it is shooting for to put down money now and they could save up for a good down payment while they wait.

I would imagine the reservation for a GEN3 would be somewhere between 1k and 3k for a lower cost of entry. That's what I would do. It would entice the demographic it is shooting for to put down money now and they could save up for a good down payment while they wait.

I'm certain they will have Gen III Signatures. How many will there be? 1000 seems a bit low when you're going to make 5 to 10 times the number of Model S's.

What will be the downpayment for a Gen III Sig? I'll start and guess $20K.

I will also guess that there will be at least 30K reservations in place before the car begins production.

If you want to be at the top of the list even if you aren't at the unveiling just buy a Signature. Otherwise, just like with the Model S, you will have to wait until after all the Signatures are given out to receive your car. Get a Sig and you'll be confident to get yours before almost everyone else.

I'm certain they will have Gen III Signatures. How many will there be? 1000 seems a bit low when you're going to make 5 to 10 times the number of Model S's.

What will be the downpayment for a Gen III Sig? I'll start and guess $20K.

I will also guess that there will be at least 30K reservations in place before the car begins production.

If you want to be at the top of the list even if you aren't at the unveiling just buy a Signature. Otherwise, just like with the Model S, you will have to wait until after all the Signatures are given out to receive your car. Get a Sig and you'll be confident to get yours before almost everyone else.

I think perhaps ryanjm wants to be at the top of the signature list

Yes indeed, that's what I meant. Thanks to Bonnie for your suggestion of buttering up an S/X owner to go as a +1 to the BlueStar event. Guess I'll have to be extra nice to you guys, hehe. :)

I envision a Godfather-like scene. "And for this favor. You will do something nice for me."

What you really need to do is be a +1 at a board meeting and pull a Jurvetson move with a checkbook. :biggrin:

I would love to be on the short-list for the Gen III provided it meets the following criteria: 0-60 around 6 flat, 200-mi range, 5-door, under $44k. :smile:

If all it gets is 0-60 in 6.0s, then count me out. The "entry" level 3 series (not counting crappy 320) 328 does this in 5.5s and the 335 in 4.6s. If you want to get people away from ICE and into EV's you need to build "better" cars; as in faster, quieter, more reliable, better torque, etc. The base model has to have at least 260 hp and 280 lb-ft of toque. 0-60 has to stay under 5.5s. The performance model should have no trouble competing with model s, since it is smaller. 0-60 in 4s.

In order to get people on board, you need to show that EV technology is superior to ICE. You can't build cars that are slower than ICE, and cost more than ICE. Gen 3 has to be in every aspect better than a 3-series for a similar price; and significantly cheaper than a 3-series when it comes to TCO.

If all it gets is 0-60 in 6.0s, then count me out. The "entry" level 3 series (not counting crappy 320) 328 does this in 5.5s and the 335 in 4.6s. If you want to get people away from ICE and into EV's you need to build "better" cars; as in faster, quieter, more reliable, better torque, etc. The base model has to have at least 260 hp and 280 lb-ft of toque. 0-60 has to stay under 5.5s. The performance model should have no trouble competing with model s, since it is smaller. 0-60 in 4s.

In order to get people on board, you need to show that EV technology is superior to ICE. You can't build cars that are slower than ICE, and cost more than ICE. Gen 3 has to be in every aspect better than a 3-series for a similar price; and significantly cheaper than a 3-series when it comes to TCO.

Are those 0-60 times with a 12" rollout? If they can get a sub 6 second 0-60 then that would be fine for the base gen III model I think.

IDK, but I am going off of Zeroto60times.com website.

A $27 Subaru WRX will do 0-60 in sub 5 seconds, so an EV really should be able to do better. You need to make a compelling car in order to convince people that EV's are better. Yes, 0-60 is 6s is plenty fast for most people but you have to "convince" most people that EV's are better. In order to do that, you have to make things "better" than ICE equivalents.

FWIW, my car does 0-60 in 7s and that is way too slow for me. 6s is some, but not too much improvement for my taste. I like to be able to accelarate quickly and that is why I will be going for the performance version. Just please don't make it prohibitively expensive. I would rather get a $27k WRX or even a $40k BWM than a $60k - $70k Tesla equivalent. If they can price a performance model, that does 0-60 in around 4s with 250 miles of range, starting at $50 - 55k; I would be all over it. Spec it out to $60k and back to $52.5k after tax incentive is about as high as I will go.