Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off 17" touch screen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In many visits to the 17" touch screen, I haven't been able to actually turn it off temporarily. It is possible to dim the screen down to its lowest point using the display settings screen, but this also affects the driver display LCD. I can envision times, particularly at night when alone in the car, when it would be convenient and easier on the eyes to simply switch off the 17" display while leaving the driver display LCD on. Then, when one wants to bring it back to life to adjust a control, simply tap it to turn it on. Perhaps a "display off" button on the display adjustment screen under the swipable brightness switch?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, mods -- maybe move this to Model S: User Interface...sorry

I usually turn off the screen in my BMW when driving alone at night as you mentioned. If this isn't possible currently in the Model S, hopefully it will be soon!

In many visits to the 17" touch screen, I haven't been able to actually turn it off temporarily. It is possible to dim the screen down to its lowest point using the display settings screen, but this also affects the driver display LCD. I can envision times, particularly at night when alone in the car, when it would be convenient and easier on the eyes to simply switch off the 17" display while leaving the driver display LCD on. Then, when one wants to bring it back to life to adjust a control, simply tap it to turn it on. Perhaps a "display off" button on the display adjustment screen under the swipable brightness switch?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, mods -- maybe move this to Model S: User Interface...sorry

I'm out of town but headed to DC store in 30 min so I'll ask. I don't think it is though.

I checked. It's not possible at this point but should be with a future software update. No firm date.

Last edited:
Hmmm can't turn off the screen ..."Open the pod bay doors Hal." ...........My screen is fading Dave..... Perhaps it has a way to turn off and only notify you of only the most important things- or provide and alert in the dash to turn it on.

Hmmm can't turn off the screen ..."Open the pod bay doors Hal." ...........My screen is fading Dave..... "

YOU MUST ADD...

http://www.teslatuner.com/2001__HAL.html

hal-90001.jpg

What you want is already available. Just put the display in "screen cleaner" mode. It takes a few taps but it's pretty easy to do.

Though honestly I don't understand how the center display is a distraction. Keep your eyes on the road...