Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
I've seen a few posts about ways to put the key fob on a ring with other keys.
Soflauthor had a good post here: 24 Hours with My New Model S (Soflauthor))

but I thought I'd start a dedicated thread to assemble other ideas or tips rather than searching for them scattered in many other threads.

I don't have my S yet... those that do, do you think these would work:
Amazon.com: Cell Phone Strap Black/ Silver Tone Split Ring (10): Home Kitchen
21Ek3c%2BLjeL.jpg

or possibly this:
Amazon.com: Cell Phone Strap Black Braided With Silver Tone Ring (10): Home Kitchen

51Axstr2bYL._SY450_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

May have found a winner...
buy this thing...

and throw away the ugly colored strap. the remaining little cord and ring (top part of the picture below) look perfect.
31tDHY6NlbL.jpg

I was examining cinergi's keyfob today, and I think a small wire tie would fit perfectly. if a problem cannot be solved with either duct tape and/or wire ties, then it's just not worth solving!

So my little keychain hack (see first post in this thread) has been sitting in a drawer all lonely... until today when I finally got my Model S.

Now that I've actually got it attached to the "key", I can say it works perfectly. Love it... that little thread part is VERY strong, seems perfect length.

highly recommend it... $5 here.
A few photos...
Model-S-key.jpg
Model-S-key (1).jpg

I went with the same but removed the crab claw and threaded the small ring onto my normal key ring. Because I read on the Amazon reviews that sometimes the small rings break, I used two of them side by side on my ring to make sure I don't lose the fob.

I went with the same but removed the crab claw and threaded the small ring onto my normal key ring. Because I read on the Amazon reviews that sometimes the small rings break, I used two of them side by side on my ring to make sure I don't lose the fob.
Two smart changes. Will likely do same, though that black thread material seems very strong to me. But better safe than sorry... two is better than one. Thanks!

How is the FOB holding up in the same pocket as your keys? Seems like it would get scratched quite a bit over time. I'm considering whether I want to put my keys in a different pocket so the FOB is on its own and more protected. (Ironically, I used to be an engineering intern at Motorola many years ago--and one of my responsibilities was a "pocket test"--an accelerated, simulated test on how the phone's finish would hold up while in a jeans pocket with keys!)

Currently, one front pocket is for my iPhone, one front pocket is for my keys, and my wallet's in a back pocket. Hmm. If I have to separate my keys from the FOB, and the keys can't go in the iPhone pocket...do I need more pockets?!?