Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Canadian Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha! Funny!

Just to confirm, since I am SSL#2, and SSL#1, whoever they are, is not posting to the forum, I would think that I would be one of the first to hear a definitive delivery window. I have not heard anything different from anyone else so far. I also have been presuming that homologation is the hold-up. I am just hoping that the MINUTE they get approval, they will start the CAN signature production run!

I know someone posted this somewhere already (I can't find it right now) but I wanted to reinforce it because the delivery manager for the central and eastern region reconfirmed with me that all sigs will be built before any production cars.
So (my words now), the crazy swings in sequence numbers, vins, delivery dates, etc., for sigs does NOT imply that some P cars will be produced before all sigs are produced.

"I was just informed by our management last night that the delivery windows have been shifted 1 to 2 weeks later,

He said that once the car actually gets released from the factory and on a truck they'll call to let me know, because then we'll have a much better sense of the timing of things (should be about 10 days from the factory to the Dania store).

So here's what we know:

• There was recently a two week delay affecting all cars
  • They are waiting on Canadian government approval (homologation)
  • They are going to build all the signatures before R's or P's are started
  • It takes 10 days to ship a Model S to Florida - probably similar for Canada (maybe a couple extra)

So to speculate on what this might mean for the first Canadian deliveries... if the approval arrives before they get to the Canadian sigs, then they will start shipping immediately. If not then they will have to store 200 cars at Fremont (at least they have the room) until they can ship them. But with the extra delays it's more likely for them to get approval on time.

Sounds to me like we're looking at early December, but maybe late November.

That certainly fits within the Nov-Dec timeline you guys were given. Hopefully homologation doesn't hold things up any later than that.

I suppose homologation could be the reason for us Canadian P's not getting contacted to finalize yet as well...

So to speculate on what this might mean for the first Canadian deliveries... if the approval arrives before they get to the Canadian sigs, then they will start shipping immediately. If not then they will have to store 200 cars at Fremont (at least they have the room) until they can ship them. But with the extra delays it's more likely for them to get approval on time.

Sounds to me like we're looking at early December, but maybe late November.

Doug,

Are you speculating that they will build 20 million dollars worth of cars before they are approved to ship them, then store them indefinetly?

Peter

Doug,

Are you speculating that they will build 20 million dollars worth of cars before they are approved to ship them, then store them indefinetly?

Peter

Not indefinitely, no, at least not intentionally. As long as they don't get totally jerked around by Transport Canada, I'd assume they'll want them shipped immediately.

My guess at a worst-case scenario is the end of the year.

I'm wondering if they need a special Canadian software version for the subtle differences here in Canada? (Metric gauges, DRLs that can't be over-ridden and so forth). Maybe the Canadian software is not finalized yet???

Yes, there definitely are software differences. Aside from the different units, you have to lock the daytime running lights on. There are probably other things...

Yes, there definitely are software differences. Aside from the different units, you have to lock the daytime running lights on. There are probably other things...
That should take no time at all - add a multiplier on the units and flip a boolean for the DRLs. Clearly the time consuming part is adding the letter 'u' in all the appropriate places, it is the honourable thing to do.

So I asked George Blankenship if he could provide a quick update on Canadian Signature deliveries. He said we didn't get the email because we hadn't been contacted for delivery. He doesn't expect us to see the same sort of scheduling problems.

He also said, "Everything appears to be on track to proceed from US Sig to Canadian Sig."

So I asked George Blankenship if he could provide a quick update on Canadian Signature deliveries. He said we didn't get the email because we hadn't been contacted for delivery. He doesn't expect us to see the same sort of scheduling problems.

Would have been a good idea for him to mention that in the original post - not just for Canadian deliveries but for all non-US countries. Not sure about others experience but so far I'm not getting any form of pro-active communication. The only thing I have been told, having reached out to the Toronto store, is that November to December is when we can expect delivery. With none of the Canadian reservation holders having been contacted I guess it will most likely be December given the expectation of being contacted 30 days prior and it being the 20th of October already. Now that US production holders are getting dates either the delivery is going to happen very quickly or we just paid for a very expensive paint job.

Given that the last US Sigs are being delivered around the end of November, I'm currently anticipating early December. Remember, the paperwork said Nov/Dec.

I'd expect the first deliveries to be in Vancouver, because (a) it's closer to Fremont and (b) SSL #1 and #2 are in the area.