Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open EVSE with Type 2 connector problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
Hi,

I'm installing my Open EVSE in my shed this evening and I ran into the issue that the Roadster won't start the charge.

Some pictures of how I installed it can be found on my blog: Widodh Installing the socket of my Open EVSE

And other can be found here: Index of /ev/tech/charging/open-evse

Then I plug the Roadster into the Type 2 socket (with my adapter) the EVSE jumps to "EVSE Connected".

The Roadster on his turn says "Connect Power Cable" and the Ring stays white.

I connected this:

- Control Pilot from socket goes to PILOT on the EVSE
- Proximity Pilot from socket goes to GND on the EVSE

When the Roadster is connected I measure a voltage of -6.98 ~ -7.00V between the Pilot and GND. I tried to measure the resistance, but that gave me a diode failure message on the Open EVSE LCD.

What is going wrong here? Is the voltage to low between the Pilot and GND? According to http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics it should be -12V?

I'm using the 1.0 firmware without the Advanced Power Supply at the moment, will enable the ADVPWR features later on.

Could it be that my cable between the socket and EVSE is to long? I'm using CAT6 for this and the cable is about 8 meters (24ft) from the socket to the EVSE. Although the voltage on the socket between Pilot and GND is the same as at the EVSE.

Some insight on this would be appreciated!

I had to order a resistor online since no store here has them.

I just got my 2.4k resistor and added it to the board on top of R1.

The Roadster is now charging just fine!

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    844.8 KB · Views: 1,317
  • resistor_on_r1_open_evse.jpg
    resistor_on_r1_open_evse.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,168
Last edited: