Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Grants Tesla $10M to Build Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
California regulators on Wednesday approved a $10 million grant to Tesla Motors to help manufacture its next electric car, the Model X sport utility vehicle.
Tesla will pony up $50 million to match the California Energy Commission grant, which will be used to expand manufacturing capacity at its factory in Fremont, Calif., and to purchase equipment to make components for the Model X.

California Grants Tesla $10 Million To Build The Model X Electric SUV - Forbes

(Way to go, Mike Taylor and Tesla!)

Others too.

Tesla Motors getting $10M from California Energy Commission | Sustainable Business Oregon

Besides Tesla, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District will get $3 million for an electric taxi project along with Better Place Mobility Services Inc. Six taxis will use two charging stations, one at San Francisco International Airport and the other at San Jose's airport.
Scotts Valley-based Zero Motorcycles will get $1.8 million to expand its production of electric motorcycles. Zero competes with two Oregon electric motorcycle companies — Brammo Inc. of ashland and MotoCzysz of Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vote of confidence is good for Tesla Motors but my question is how will TM move forward with the Model X grant? I would like to see TM create a California edition of the X with special badging or color honoring California's commitment to the Model X and TM.

Last edited:
The vote of confidence is good for Tesla Motors but my questions is how will TM move forward with the Model X grant? I would like to see TM create a California edition of the X with speacial badging or color honoring California's commitment to the Model X and TM.

Great idea; here's a picture of California's official flower the California Golden Poppy. Seen a few high end cars painted in this color.

california golden poppy flower.jpg

$10 million is nice and all, but it's really pocket change in this context.

As one of the minority of people in California that pays taxes - I wish the state had kept the money in our pocket instead of someone else's pocket. Early next month we vote on weather to increase taxes (only a temporary tax increase :scared:) because the state is "a little short".