Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did they switch to model year 2013?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just DocuSigned my MVPA and noticed that the Model Year for my car is shown as 2013. I was just a little disappointed I don't get a launch year model year of 2012. It was priced on October 9, 2012 and shows a delivery estimate of FEB-MAR 2013.

I asked and was told by Tesla that the Model Year is determined by the DAY that your Model S rolls off the assembly line. If it's on or before 12/31/12 its a 2012 and starting 1/1/13 its a 2013. (and so on of course...)

I asked and was told by Tesla that the Model Year is determined by the DAY that your Model S rolls off the assembly line. If it's on or before 12/31/12 its a 2012 and starting 1/1/13 its a 2013. (and so on of course...)

The model year is encoded in the VIN. I think that the VIN gets locked in sometime earlier than rolling off the line. Maybe when they create the VIN, they estimate which year it will be completed in.

I wonder if Tesla will stop production of the S the last week of December (Dec 24 to Jan 1). Doing this accomplishes three things: gives their employees time off for vacation, permits all 2012 produced cars the ability to be delivered in 2012, allows for any production line changes for the 2013 MY to be completed before ramp up begins again January 2013.

I wonder if Tesla will stop production of the S the last week of December (Dec 24 to Jan 1). Doing this accomplishes three things: gives their employees time off for vacation, permits all 2012 produced cars the ability to be delivered in 2012, allows for any production line changes for the 2013 MY to be completed before ramp up begins again January 2013.

Actually, I prefer the continuous roll-out of improvements over major changes at the beginning of each model year. That way Model S keeps its value purely based on its age, where most other brand cars drop in value the minute a new model year gets to the dealership.

Actually, I prefer the continuous roll-out of improvements over major changes at the beginning of each model year. That way Model S keeps its value purely based on its age, where most other brand cars drop in value the minute a new model year gets to the dealership.
I agree with you, I was thinking changing the production line in terms of improving efficiency. In other words, Telsa has had a few months to identify production bottlenecks and this natural break between 2012 and 2013 MY would be a good opportunity to implement the efficiency changes.

I doubt it. They'll probably stop Christmas Day and New Year's Day but that's it. Maybe a slightly shorter shift New Year's Eve. They're too far behind their production schedule...and they'll likely be a little further behind by that point.