Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is the delivery timeframe???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6652 and received finalize notification 10/1 with a posted delivery date of Feb-Mar. Here in GA the tax law changes if you take delivery of a car (or buy a used one) on March 1, 2013 or later. No ad valorem or sales tax and gets replaced by a title tax - total 6.5% vs 7% sales tax and ~1000-1500 advalorem first year.

It is more beneficial to take delivery after March 1. I know that deliveries seem to be later than quoted. I spoke to TM today and they said, "well the best thing is to wait until your delivery window is Mar-Apr" and while that is the safest, I do not want to do that and end up getting the car mid to late April.

What does everyone think about how accurate their dates are, taking into account the ramp up and people either deferring or dropping off.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

*Background* I do like to gamble, especially if the odds are relatively in my favor.

I am 6652 and received finalize notification 10/1 with a posted delivery date of Feb-Mar. Here in GA the tax law changes if you take delivery of a car (or buy a used one) on March 1, 2013 or later. No ad valorem or sales tax and gets replaced by a title tax - total 6.5% vs 7% sales tax and ~1000-1500 advalorem first year.

Yeah that is a huge savings every year. But I believe you can buy your car now and opt-in to the new schema. In option 2 it appears it isn't all that hard.

Georgia Department of Revenue

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the correct part:
Can the owner of a vehicle purchased prior to March 1, 2013 avoid payment of future ad valorem taxes on their vehicle?
  • If the vehicle was purchased in Georgia between January 1, 2012 and March 1 2013 and titled in this state, the owner is eligible to opt in to the new system. If you qualify to opt in, you will get credit for any sales tax and ad valorem tax previously paid up to the amount of TAVT due. However, if the sales tax and ad valorem tax previously paid is less than the TAVT due, you will need to make up the difference when you opt in. This option must be exercised before January 1, 2014
About halfway down: Georgia Department of Revenue

Except there is going to be someone that is going to be sensative to paying 7% before March 1 2013 rather than 6.5% right after March 1. I agree for any county that has a sales tax of less than 6.5% there is no decision to make at all take the car when you can.

Except there is going to be someone that is going to be sensative to paying 7% before March 1 2013 rather than 6.5% right after March 1. I agree for any county that has a sales tax of less than 6.5% there is no decision to make at all take the car when you can.

Hooray for Cobb county!

Ahh, good point. I see the waiting until March advantage now, but for a couple hundred dollars it may still be worth it if you live in Fulton.

Hooray for Cobb county!

Ahh, good point. I see the waiting until March advantage now, but for a couple hundred dollars it may still be worth it if you live in Fulton.

y'all are missing the fine print of the law i think. both the sales tax and the ad valorem will be abolished. therefore (i live in fulton), i will pay both 7% prior to march 1st and the first years ad valorem then will be able to opt in to the no advalorem before jan 2014. if delivery is after march 1 then i would only pay 6.5% title tax and not have the extra 0.5% plus the ad valorem. the difference will be over $1000.

but my question isn't whether it's good to get the car before or after, my question is what do people think the odds of them being early in the feb-mar date. even if the two week window is feb 15-march 1 then i can take delivery march 1.

what do people think about that?

So far deliveries of the Signature series has been behind schedule a few weeks so I would think unless they can play catch up, it is more likely that your car will be later than earlier in that window if it is even in the estimated window at all. Only time will tell.

I'm trying to run some projections to see how much Tesla I can afford :) (I have to finalize by 2/8 to stay under the old pricing.)

So is it definitely 6.5% sales tax in GA, Fulton county if delivery is after March 1? (I've estimated that my delivery should be in April to May at the earliest since I am almost certainly going with the red multicoat paint...)

Are there any other hidden costs in the fine print that aren't shown on the reservation fees on mytesla?

I suppose I can click "finalize" and see all the fees and then change things around before I sign... that's what Tesla suggested I do when I called them...

I'm trying to run some projections to see how much Tesla I can afford :) (I have to finalize by 2/8 to stay under the old pricing.)

So is it definitely 6.5% sales tax in GA, Fulton county if delivery is after March 1? (I've estimated that my delivery should be in April to May at the earliest since I am almost certainly going with the red multicoat paint...)

Are there any other hidden costs in the fine print that aren't shown on the reservation fees on mytesla?

I suppose I can click "finalize" and see all the fees and then change things around before I sign... that's what Tesla suggested I do when I called them...

Not really. You have to pay about $97 to get the car titled and tagged (if AFV tag to use HOV/HOT lanes, if normal plate it is $25 cheaper). I am not sure where you will pay the new tax but I would expect to spend 2 hours getting the tag and all you stuff done at a tag/tax office. Other than that the MVPA is pretty much accurate. You do have to pay the $7 CA tire fee.

One thing to note my pre-MVPA had all the taxes included. When I got the final MVPA it had all taxes, and titling fees removed. I only paid the price of the vehicle. I had to pay title, tag, and taxes out of pocket. So don't sell you current car until your new car is about to arrive.

And I don't know if this is true but the lady at the tag office said I had 30 days to tag and title the car in Georgia. So even if your car got here late Feb I am pretty sure you could wait until after Mar 1 and do everything and no one would be the wiser. Although I don't want to know the lines at the tag office will be like on Mar 1. I will be there. Sadly waiting in line that Friday, trying to pull a fast one on GA.

It is more beneficial to take delivery after March 1. I know that deliveries seem to be later than quoted. I spoke to TM today and they said, "well the best thing is to wait until your delivery window is Mar-Apr" and while that is the safest, I do not want to do that and end up getting the car mid to late April.

What does everyone think about how accurate their dates are, taking into account the ramp up and people either deferring or dropping off.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

*Background* I do like to gamble, especially if the odds are relatively in my favor.

My window was 2/1 - 2/15. Called today and the truck is due in Austin on 2/6 (we will see). So they are pretty much on right now for early 60 kWh cars. The big variable is the shipping.

So bottom line, if I take all the fees shown on the reservation page at My Tesla, add the $7500 back in (since the Federal tax credit will not come back to me until 2014) and add another 6.5% onto that for GA state tax, take out my $5K that I already paid them, then that's pretty much what I have to pay at final delivery time, excepting the few small misc fees (the CA tire fee, etc. and titling fee that you mentioned) ?

So bottom line, if I take all the fees shown on the reservation page at My Tesla, add the $7500 back in (since the Federal tax credit will not come back to me until 2014) and add another 6.5% onto that for GA state tax, take out my $5K that I already paid them, then that's pretty much what I have to pay at final delivery time, excepting the few small misc fees (the CA tire fee, etc. and titling fee that you mentioned) ?

This is correct. Do not forget about delivery and prep fees. I paid tax on these fees and the full purchase price of the car. The only thing I did not pay tax on was the $7 CA tire fee. Then the ~$100 to title and tag the car.

Those two fees are included on the mytelsa list of fees ($990 for delivery and $180 for final inspection, prep and coordination)
I think maybe they didn't use to have the fees there.

Thank you very much, ElSupreme! Very helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh one more question since you seem to know so much... If I hold off on certain options that I can buy later-- example, rear facing child seats, or parcel shelf, would I have to pay that same 6.5% sales tax on them later, since it's not part of the purchase price? My guess is I'd have to pay some kind of sales tax on them since they do business in GA...

Where are you seeing the delivery timeframes? On the Motor Vehicle Purchase Document I signed, it says: "The Delivery date set forth in this agreement is an estimated date..." But I couldn't find an estimated delivery date in any of the papers or correspondence.

- - - Updated - - -

Where are you seeing the delivery timeframes? On the Motor Vehicle Purchase Document I signed, it says: "The Delivery date set forth in this agreement is an estimated date..." But I couldn't find an estimated delivery date in any of the papers or correspondence.

Disregard this post, found it on the MVPA