Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desired options unavailable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P984, but a must have option for me (AWD) is currently unavailable. I assume it has to become available since X will have AWD - but during my discussions with Tesla reps they were very evasive in outlining IF or WHEN the AWD will become an option for S.

Now the question for the community: what do I do with my reservation in the meantime? I am OK continuing to offer Tesla an interest-free loan on $5K... but I would really like to have some evidence confirming I am waiting for a real thing.

I have a P984, but a must have option for me (AWD) is currently unavailable. I assume it has to become available since X will have AWD - but during my discussions with Tesla reps they were very evasive in outlining IF or WHEN the AWD will become an option for S.

Now the question for the community: what do I do with my reservation in the meantime? I am OK continuing to offer Tesla an interest-free loan on $5K... but I would really like to have some evidence confirming I am waiting for a real thing.

I don't think you'll get confirmation about AWD in the Model S by the spring or next summer unfortunately. The Model S's traction control, if it's like the Roadster, should be excellent. Would dedicated winter tires not be good enough for where you live? If AWD is a deal breaker, maybe the Model X might work better or the Model S will get it around the same time as the Model X in 2014.

I am OK continuing to offer Tesla an interest-free loan on $5K... but I would really like to have some evidence confirming I am waiting for a real thing.

But Tesla isn't going to give you that confirmation. So I'm unsure of what you're asking ...

- - - Updated - - -

Majority opinion on TMC is that there will eventually be an AWD Model S. But there is no confirmation from Tesla & (obviously) no time line. For them to announce something like that now could cut into current sales. See Osborne Effect.

If an AWD S is a requirement for you, then seems to me that you would be best served cancelling your current reservation and getting your $5k back.
I think an AWD version is not in any neartime outlook. And by the time it is available they shouldn't have the long wait list they do now.

+1, I would go as far as to bet that Tesla's traction control for 2wd is better than most 4wd's!

Traction control - no matter how good it is cannot defy the laws of physics: there's only so much traction each tire gives you based on the size of the patch which meets the road. It is naive to assume you can have better traction with some smart gadgetry and only 50% of the potential grip on the road.

The AWD is a personal preference. I've done a fair share of rally driving and none of the RWD / FWD cars handle the way their AWD counterparts do. I can guarantee you that with all the technology and instant torque AWD model S will be a lot faster and much more fun to drive, whether it is a straight line or hugging the corners.

Traction control - no matter how good it is cannot defy the laws of physics: there's only so much traction each tire gives you based on the size of the patch which meets the road. It is naive to assume you can have better traction with some smart gadgetry and only 50% of the potential grip on the road.

I agree (my current car is AWD), however my experience here in Canada is that most people like AWD for traction on wintry roads. The problem is that for most people, they get into trouble trying to stop (not accelerate) and when it comes to stopping, AWD affords little, if any benefit (for the "typical" driver).

I agree (my current car is AWD), however my experience here in Canada is that most people like AWD for traction on wintry roads. The problem is that for most people, they get into trouble trying to stop (not accelerate) and when it comes to stopping, AWD affords little, if any benefit (for the "typical" driver).

+1. Driver experience and skill trumps any vehicle technology.

Agree. I keep a set of good chains in the car instead. 2WD with chains has better traction in deep snow than 4WD without chains.

I'm not saying RWD with awesome T/C in the Model S is *better* than AWD ... I'm saying it's more than sufficient to get through some pretty heinous wintry conditions; you'll see a LOT of other cars getting stuck before you do.

+1 Ben...2 seasons of Roadster winter driving...TMC's traction control makes the Roadster better than most FWD & RWD vehicles I've driven through the winter...

I'm not saying RWD with awesome T/C in the Model S is *better* than AWD ... I'm saying it's more than sufficient to get through some pretty heinous wintry conditions; you'll see a LOT of other cars getting stuck before you do.