Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nema 10-30?

Thanks Dadaleus! Please do let us know how your custom cord works out, as I may need to go the same route.

FYI, I happened to inquire of the Ownership Experience group whether the NEMA 10-30 adapter would be produced, as it is one of the outlets that appears on the Adapter Guide page of the Model S /Charging section. A fellow named Walter in Ownership experience said he would confirm directly with the group producing the adapters, and subsequently called me back to tell me that a NEMA 10-30 adapter will be produced, though it may not be available for the next month or two.

Who knows who is correct here, hopefully there was just miscommunication of what is available now, versus what will be produced soon...as unlikely as this would seem. Walter's quote was "we will definitely be producing any adapter that is listed on the Adapter Guide page".

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by dadaleus View Post
    If neutral and ground are bonded anyway, I don't see why it would be, other than that the cord should only be used with a Tesla. (Which isn't a problem--heck what else would someone use this bizarre cord for anyway? But I can label it Tesla use only for sure.)
    The combination of circumstances makes it okay to charge a Tesla from a 10-30 outlet and are covered earlier.

This gets confusing really quickly, especially if you try to read the NEC. The "neutral", referred to in the code as the "groundED conductor" is for return current for 120V needs; the "ground", referred to in the code as the "groundING conductor" is for safety. The NEMA 10-30R supplies 2 hot legs and a neutral. The NEMA 6-30 supplies 2 hot legs and a ground. NEMA 10 and NEMA 14 allow for 240/120V loads to be placed on it, NEMA 6 allows only 240V loads.

There is a combination of factors which makes using a 10-30 for charging a Tesla ok - mentioned earlier. Label your adapter cable to here and back, for Tesla only. The biggest code issue here - whether you use a 14-50R or 6-50R or whatever - is not the ground/neutral issue, but rather the fact you're plugging a 50A appliance (through adapters) into a 30A receptacle and branch circuit. That's the heartache I would have with wiring you such a device if I were in that position.

There is little functional difference in using a NEMA 10-30R receptacle for loads using a 6-30 plug (240V-only, like the Tesla) via adapter _as long as it's wired back to the main service panel only, where the bonding is done_. That's because the neutral and ground should be bonded together in the main service panel - elsewhere current code says they must be isolated, and a neutral-sized conductor will be sufficient for the safety ground. The same is not true in the opposite direction - the ground conductor of a 6-30R service may not be sized properly for neutral returns, and will be without insulation in the conduit or cable (a big no-no for current-carrying conductors).

Bottom line, a 10-30R to 6-50P adapter cable is going to be safer than a 14-50P cable, because you won't have to deal with neutral-vs-ground issues on the NEMA 14 service. It still has its issues, and would violate code as a permanent installation, but as long as you mark it from here to heaven and back you'll be the fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    Who knows who is correct here, hopefully there was just miscommunication of what is available now, versus what will be produced soon...as unlikely as this would seem. Walter's quote was "we will definitely be producing any adapter that is listed on the Adapter Guide page".
    Yeah, I have to go w/ the fact that the 10-30 is listed on the website as an available adapter. It's fine if it isn't available "now" as I can charge on 120V until the 10-30 is available but I've already chosen the wrong outlet once, I don't want to do it again. Surely the response dadaleus received was based on what they're making today since he was trying to order one at that moment.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    it is one of the outlets that appears on the Adapter Guide page of the Model S /Charging section.
    I missed that list on the website even though Doug mentioned it before. I was thinking of Roadster charging list.

I was talking with the "Tesla Parts Advisor." Customer service connected me to service, which connected me to him. Here's his exact quote: "Regarding the 10-30 adapter, we currently do not offer it."

Given this and the website, I'd say this simply means they do not offer it YET.

I'm going to have a 10-30 extension (6 gauge) and 10-30 > 6-50 pigtail made so I can use the Tesla 6-50 plug for now. That way when/if they come out with a 10-30 plug I'll switch to that.

Like dadaleus, I need and extension cord to reach a 10-30 dryer plug while visiting relatives. I understand that Tesla now has a 10-30 adapter available for the Model S. So can I simply buy a replacement dryer cord and a 10-30 female receptacle and make my own extension cord? I only need about a 10 foot extension.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward D View Post
    Like dadaleus, I need and extension cord to reach a 10-30 dryer plug while visiting relatives. I understand that Tesla now has a 10-30 adapter available for the Model S. So can I simply buy a replacement dryer cord and a 10-30 female receptacle and make my own extension cord? I only need about a 10 foot extension.
    The official Tesla word is "no extension cords".

As to whether they will work, etc., see the FAQ thread

If you oversize the wiring in the extension cord the voltage drop is minimal. With 10-30, the key is to know if the source is really two-phase or just two-phases of three-phase (the voltages will be different - in the latter case, an extension cord could drop the voltage into a zone the car won't like). Also, the quality of the connections on either end will have an effect.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Quote Originally Posted by SByer View Post
    If you oversize the wiring in the extension cord the voltage drop is minimal. With 10-30, the key is to know if the source is really two-phase or just two-phases of three-phase (the voltages will be different - in the latter case, an extension cord could drop the voltage into a zone the car won't like). Also, the quality of the connections on either end will have an effect.
    I think you mean two legs of a single-phase service (240V) or L-L voltage of 3-phase 208Y/120. Either way, the FAQ thread (mentioned above) talks about the maximum length of an extension cord that will work. Never a good idea to violate manufacturer's instructions though...

The 10-30 adapter is now available for the Model S from the online shop
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/collecti...cts/nema-10-30
    Canadian Model S - P98 - VIN 5297: 85kWh, Dolphin Grey, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio+, Air, 19", Pano, Twin, Parcel
    Reservation made November, 2010
    Brought home March, 2013

Thread Information