Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laps at Goodwood Motor Circuit next Sunday, 14 October 2012?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners are welcome to bring their cars to Goodwood Motor Circuit and drive a few laps of the famous circuit, next Sunday, 14 October.
The day is the Greenpower National Finals, where several thousand students and schoolchildren will race single-seater electric race cars that they have designed and built.
The event is run by the Greenpower Education Trust, which aims to inspire young people into the world of engineering. Lord March, owner of Goodwood, and David Richards, chairman of Aston Martin and Prodrive, are the Patrons of the charity.
You may use these laps to take friends, family, or clients around the 2.4 mile track.
Ample charging points are available.
Please contact Richard Hodgson on 07793 974 161 if you would like to take up this opportunity. All laps must be pre-booked.
Website: GreenpowerFinals - Greenpower Electric Motor Racing Finals, Sunday 14 October, Goodwood Motor Circuit

Sounds great, are other cars welcome?

If the charge points you refer to are the sockets at roof height in the paddock stalls, we've found before that it doesn't take more than a couple of cars to trip out the breaker that supplies them all, even when you select the minimum 6A setting.

Greenpower Finals - Are other cars welcome?

Sounds great, are other cars welcome?

If the charge points you refer to are the sockets at roof height in the paddock stalls, we've found before that it doesn't take more than a couple of cars to trip out the breaker that supplies them all, even when you select the minimum 6A setting.

Q1. Are other cars welcome? A. Let us know what you had in mind.

Q2. Charge points. A. You are quite right they can trip out. We are aware of this and will be on the case to flip the necessary breakers, or if needs be move vehicles around to a spot where there is either less load, or more supply!

Here's some photos of the UK student GreenPower event that took place at the Goodwood circuit, 14th Oct 2012. I attended in the Roadster, met dozens of other EV drivers and we all did two parade laps for the cameras.

My passenger was Nick Ponting - the driver who has just set the UK land speed record in an Electric car (ie, The Ecotricity Nemesis, 151mph).

The budding engineers building the super light weight ultra low power EVs claim that they are getting the equivalent of 3,000 miles per gallon energy use, or roughly speaking 1 mile uses less than the energy stored inside a single jelly bean. Hmm, 1 jellybean per mile, a new economy standard ..

Below are a few pics from the event, with a brief comment :-

ultraefficientstudentEVs.jpg

pits.jpg

vastsizeofXFnxttoRoadster.jpg

You don’t see many Electric Citroen C1's everyday :-

AmperaC1Leaf1.jpg

Sussex police were showing off two Volts / Ampera's :-

WherestheengineSarg.jpg

And its not everyday you belt around a race circuit only to catch up with an EV police car slowing the proceedings :-

PoliceAmperainfrontatGoodwood2.jpg

This pragmatic Leaf owner lugs this discrete generator around in the back of his car. He claims it improves the handling by evening out the weight distribution !!!

Leafwithonboardbackup.jpg

Damn, wished I'd come down now. I was over in Somerset on the weekend and decided not to come home for it.

Love the secret squirrel generator, but I'm pretty sure that's a 2kW one - too small to run the LEAF's 10A charger.

Yup, 2.6kva, but the owner swore black n blue it was good for "at least 10 miles worth per hour". Hugely inefficient but he said he uses it once a week !

Last edited: