Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many gallons will you no longer burn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To maximize the ROI of your Model S (ignoring resale value), you really want to put every mile you can on this car... especially with gas, in some parts of the country, now going well North of $5/gallon.

Calculating how we could put as many miles as possible on our future Model S (rather than on our other cars), I conservatively figure we would stop consuming 830 gallons per year. That's a lot of fuel. And that wouldn't be 100% of our total consumption, but close to 70%, if we work at it.

I used to never think about this stuff, now I do. Good job Elon!

How many gallons if gas will you no longer burn?

In my Civic Hybrid, we go through about 12 gallons a week, which is getting increasingly more expensive. But with the S seating more people than my Civic, we will end up using the Odyssey less too. Probably 4 gallons a week there too.

Even more valuable to me is how much time I waste filling up each week. Add it up and it is depressing. 52 fills a year, 5 mins per fill (sometimes more if I don't fill on the way to work and have to go out of my way for gas).

With my Auris Hybrid I burn about a 150 Liter of fuel every month, so in a year that's 1800 Liter which translates to 481 Gallons a year.

I drive about 32.000km a year with a overal usage of 1 liter for every 18 kilometers. That's roughly 1800 Liter a year.

I will only save about 120 gallons per year with the Model S. The reason for this is we already got a Leaf which have taken over much of the driving from the ICE car. Also the ICE is a VW TDI which doesn't really use that much.

The big savings I got from switching out our oil-burning furnace to a heat pump in 2007. That was 700 gallons saved per year...

I used 450 gallons of diesel from mid 2009 to when I sold the Jetta. That included 15,000 miles in my Roadster from Dec. 2010 though so drove the Jetta much less after it arrived for some reason.

I've been measuring my fuel consumption in dollars, and trips. The dollars will be about $3,700 this year if I project it out. I end up filling up about every 6th day so that puts me at about 60 fill ups. My car usually fills up with about 14-15 gallons so lets roughly estimate what I am saving.

So I'll end up saving about 870-900 gallons at a little over $4 on average this year.

I also have detailed distance numbers, but I don't want to combine my fuel and distance numbers to get a fuel economy number, it would be depressing.

Which I just did ... at 20,000 miles this year I am getting right at 23mpg, in a VW GTI. Uggh that is horrible! And my numbers on gallons are estimated so I could be getting better, I just don't know.

Hi All -- P#9,094 here - Westchester, NY

Current car = 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Life Mileage = 46,600
Lifetime MPG = 41mpg

Average yearly gas consumption = 425 - 525 gallons based on 20,000 to 25,000 miles driven per year.

Can't *wait* to never stop at a gas station again!

Aaron

"Current" Configuration for my Model S:

85 kWh
Blue Metalic Paint
19" Wheels
Tan Leather Interior
Obeche Wood Matte Decor
Pano Roof
Tech Package
Parcel Shelf

I expect to save about 1,050 gallons of fuel per year.

Since I have purchased a roadster in July, I have been saving about half of that.
The other savings will come as soon as the Model S can be used for

a) trips with more than one passenger
b) trips which require more storage
b) trips that are not done with the roadster due to range/charging time limitations

BTW: The heating in my house used to consume about 2,000 gallons of oil annually. It was replaced in 2009 by a community heating system which is driven by a biogas plant (just using the exhaust heat from their generator). At the time I was saying "Oil is too expensive and rare to use just for heating purposes - I need it to drive around".

I am happy, this is changing so quickly. Soon I will rarely need any oil at all. (My lawn mower is still ICE driven; I will take care of that soon - I hope)

How many gallons if gas will you no longer burn?

I keep very detailed fuel and mileage logs on my cars. Based on the car I am replacing (Cadillac CTS 3.6 liter, AWD), I will not be burning 80.44 US gallons per month. For my commute to work alone, I'll save 69.7 US gallons per month (I have a long commute).

Better yet, at today's electricity and gasoline costs in my area, I expect to save between $18,000 and $19,000 over 5 years of ownership. This is the difference between expected electricity use and offset gasoline use.

A wise guy at work pointed out that I could save even more by moving further away from the office!

I'm replacing a car that gets 14 mpg combined city/hwy. I don't drive it every day (I flip between 2 other cars), so mileage is considerably lower, but if I did, which I plan to do with the Model S, I would burn about 1,056 gallons. At current pricing in my area of $4.80/gallon, it comes out to around $5,070 or $25,344 :scared: over 5 years of ownership, although this presumes (inaccurately) that the price of fuel remains static and does not rise incrementally on an annual basis...

When my wife took my Volt after the first week it replaced her 100 gallon per month Expedition. So at $4/gal that's $400/mo. in gas. Now she uses about $30 of electricity + about $20 of gas averaging over 97 MPG.

Even though I love the idea of not having to visit a gas station ever again, it is more an emotional thing than an actual financial advantage.

Now that I use a "jobticket" to commute to work, I don't really drive a lot any more. At my current rate of driving I have to visit the gas station once every two months, which means around 300 liters per year or 450 Euro.

I guess with a car as fun a driving machine as the Model S, I would certainly drive a lot more again, perhaps 9,000 miles a year (as I did before switching to public transport for most of my commuting to and from work), including quite a few longer trips. Theoretically that is 30 times 300 miles or 30 times 85 kWh = 2,550 kWh
At current electricity prices here of around 0.25 Euro per kWh that makes about 635 Euro in electricity. And as we are now told to expect electricity prices to rise sharply from next year on, not a very promising outlook there.

So, no money saved, but that's not the point any longer anyway.

Ouch, 0.25€/kWh ? I paid €0.075 here in Norway on my last bill...

Must be the cheap water power in Norway (as well as the fact that Norway has plenty of oil resources). Then again, you pay much more than us in Germany for a lot of other things.

And even though it hurts our family budget: I'd rather pay even more for electricity if it helps in achieving the goal of financing the change to alternative energy.
Our kids will thank us in the end.

I've had to stop at a gas station only twice in 2012 - I limit the use of my Prius to when transporting the pups, picking up more than one person at the airport, or taking lots of cardboard over to recycling.

I'm looking forward to completely skipping the gas station experience when the X arrives. It doesn't seem normal to me anymore. And it's dirty. And you have to wait in line behind people who are actually done, but couldn't move their car because they need to wander the aisles in the quickshop store and visit with the cashier.