Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at the P demo Performance S at the Santa Row store and saw the side area on the door pillar (close to the seat) really wearing. My buddy picked his up last week and is seeing similar wear. Seems like something needs to be changed/fixed/etc.

This seems to wear too easy just getting in and out of the car. Any other owners have similar wearing in this area?

Mark

Tesla S wear 1.jpg
Tesla S wear.jpg

I know that I had an italian car that had recaro type seats with rather high lateral seat "bolsters" - the wear on them was unbelievable considering the miles it was driven (very few). I think this is common for leather seats with the "wrap around" sides. You don't want metal here, as getting in and out of them will periodically strike you in the back. Un fun. Most cars I have had were sedans and didn't have these high sides.

I suspect Leatherique or similar will get you some more miles ... but it will happen. I always wondered if, at that time where the wear was getting bad, if I could switch seat backs. However, one side had a document pouch on the back of the seat, and one did not ... so switching them would be obvious to a potential buyer who knew what he was looking for. I ended up driving it less and less - til I sold her.

I am going to go cry now.

No bueno. Would moving the seat forward stop you or your friend from hitting it?

sublimaze1:
It's not the seat that is wearing, it's the door pillar (not exactly sure what it is called). The seat seemed to look fine from what I could see.

AnOutsider:
I believe you suggestion would work. However, I think moving it forward enough to avoid this area would make it seating position too small for most people.

I'm interested to see iof any of the Founders, SSL's or recent S owners are starting to see the wear themselves.
As this is a very late build (Production VIN 12XX), it should represent what we are all getting.

sublimaze1:
It's not the seat that is wearing, it's the door pillar (not exactly sure what it is called). The seat seemed to look fine from what I could see.

AnOutsider:
I believe you suggestion would work. However, I think moving it forward enough to avoid this area would make it seating position too small for most people.

I'm interested to see iof any of the Founders, SSL's or recent S owners are starting to see the wear themselves.
As this is a very late build (Production VIN 12XX), it should represent what we are all getting.

Until I hear a complaint from an actual owner I wouldn't read too much into this. As a demo car it likely has had thousands of people get in and out of it already. That implies years of real life usage to see this kind of wear.

I was looking at the P demo Performance S at the Santa Row store and saw the side area on the door pillar (close to the seat) really wearing. My buddy picked his up last week and is seeing similar wear. Seems like something needs to be changed/fixed/etc.
Note that the OP states that an owner is seeing this wear on his personal car. As AnOutsider said, "no bueno."

Several people have noticed this. Almost all the demo cars show signs of this wear. The B pillar is pushed relatively far forward, so if you have long legs, you need to do some acrobatics to get out of the car without brushing against it.

I knew this would happen when I first got into the S. My Lexus had a similar design and Lexus redesigned the leather on the pillar and replaced it at no charge for owners who complained. This is where "form over function" doesn't work in the real world.

Several people have noticed this. Almost all the demo cars show signs of this wear. The B pillar is pushed relatively far forward, so if you have long legs, you need to do some acrobatics to get out of the car without brushing against it.

For the record, I've seen this wear to various degrees on every Model S I've seen or driven. This includes showroom models, and the production models I've test driven. I've mentioned this to reps at every store I've been in, and the answer is almost exactly the same (as if scripted): "These cars have many more people getting in and out than you will ever do in your own car in a lifetime".

For the record, I've seen this wear to various degrees on every Model S I've seen or driven. This includes showroom models, and the production models I've test driven. I've mentioned this to reps at every store I've been in, and the answer is almost exactly the same (as if scripted): "These cars have many more people getting in and out than you will ever do in your own car in a lifetime".

If it's scripted, it's only because its the truth.

Of course that doesn't mean there can't be an actual problem.

If an owner has the problem I'd be interested in seeing the pics from their car instead of a demo car.