Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: For P/R reservations, which battery/motor did you finalize ?

Which battery/motor did you finalize ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, only 1 40kWh and 70% 85kWh. After what has been written here lately I honestly expected more 40kWh cars. But this is of course good for Tesla ;)
Here in Norway everyone I know of is getting the 85kWh battery, there seems to be very little interest in the smaller versions.

I though it would be interesting to see a new poll on which battery the P & R reservation holders have finalized. Please only choose an option if you hold a P or R reservation and have finalized your order.

My guess is that this question is a bit premature, as thousands of us are far from the time when we have to finalize this decision. My guess is that I'll end up choosing the 85 kWh, but I must add that the performance version remains a serious option. But I won't make that decision until I have to, which probably won't be until next March or April at the very earliest.

My guess is that this question is a bit premature, as thousands of us are far from the time when we have to finalize this decision. My guess is that I'll end up choosing the 85 kWh, but I must add that the performance version remains a serious option. But I won't make that decision until I have to, which probably won't be until next March or April at the very earliest.

Well, they have sent out emails up to about P#7700. That's around 60% of US R&P's that have the option to finalize now. It should be enough to get a statistically significant result.

And when you do have to choose, another 5,000-10,000 will be in queue behind you ;)

Yep, 5% 40kWh, 30% 60kWh and 65% 85kWh (40% P85 of total). It will be interesting to see if the number change much over time.

5% 40kWh is much less than I anticipated.

It's been said before but this forums results cannot be extrapolated to all reservation holders as those on the forum are enthusiasts, and are much more likely to gravitate to the larger battery packs etc.

I'd also be interested to know how the announcements re Supercharging and maintenance costs have affected the battery decision. I'd speculate that those dropping their reservation because of maintenance costs were disproportionately 40kWh buyers, and further speculate that the nationwide coverage of the SCs encouraged other 40kWh buyers to upgrade.

I'd also be interested to know how the announcements re Supercharging and maintenance costs have affected the battery decision. I'd speculate that those dropping their reservation because of maintenance costs were disproportionately 40kWh buyers, and further speculate that the nationwide coverage of the SCs encouraged other 40kWh buyers to upgrade.

Check out this battery size poll from May 2011:
Poll on battery size.

A full 15% were going to order the 40kWh pack back then.

It's been said before but this forums results cannot be extrapolated to all reservation holders as those on the forum are enthusiasts, and are much more likely to gravitate to the larger battery packs etc.

Yeah, but that is partially countered with people with loads of money, which also tend not to frequent internet forums. Also Norwegian sales will probably be >90% 85kWh since the car is so cheap here compared to the alternatives. We have our own national EV forum and I haven't hear of a single reservation holder ordering 40kWh or 60kWh.

Yeah, but that is partially countered with people with loads of money, which also tend not to frequent internet forums. Also Norwegian sales will probably be >90% 85kWh since the car is so cheap here compared to the alternatives. We have our own national EV forum and I haven't hear of a single reservation holder ordering 40kWh or 60kWh.

I agree. I would add that *anyone* willing to put $5k down on a car and wait months for it is an enthusiast. Even if you don't buy either of these arguments, the discrepancy between 40kWh and "the rest" is so huge and material that it statistically overcomes the difference in personalities between non-message board and message board.

It also explains why Tesla will be cashflow positive in November. I find it hard to imagine them making much money on the 40kWh.

I ended up getting the 85kWh pack. I was dead set on the 40kWh pack until the day I got my finalize email. I had a hard time seeing the value of the 85kWh pack, as you can rent a car whenever you need for WAY less than $20,000. But when I looked at the financial picture in detail, and thought about what I wanted out of this car I decided the 85kWh would fulfill all of my needs, were the 40kWh pack may not.

Not to mention I think the 85kWh being only $8k more than the 60kWh with supercharging, makes it an easy decision if you can afford it.

At this moment, 36 40/60, and 72 85/85P. So 85s are exactly 2:1 over the other two combined! 2/3 of the total. Etc.

Also: note that this poll requests only P & R reservers respond, no Sigs. So to this point the % of 85s is way understated. Of course, in the long run Sig numbers will be insignificant compared to the Ps.

Last edited: