Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Double DIN upgrade released

Roadster 472 - S 440
    Quote Originally Posted by jory View Post
    i saw a car getting its double din upgrade at menlo park this week. the owner had opted to install a different head unit than the standard one. i asked how they handled that and the service manager said they just deduct the cost of the head unit. he mentioned they prefer the same brand of head unit for accessory compatibility but it did not sound like a requirement. i took some photos of the install, but they are on my other computer which is having some issues. i'll try to add them to this post at a later date.
    Could have been mine. (or maybe not - there are 2 custom installs underway)

Both are newer Alpine units - so pretty familiar to Tesla. Mine is the INE-S920HD while the other one is the INA-W910. I'll let everyone know how it turns out soon.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Hadn't heard of the INE-S920HD before. Actually sounds decent from the few reviews I saw.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wolfe View Post
    Could have been mine. (or maybe not - there are 2 custom installs underway)

Both are newer Alpine units - so pretty familiar to Tesla. Mine is the INE-S920HD while the other one is the INA-W910. I'll let everyone know how it turns out soon.

Have you gotten your tesla back with the INE-S920HD? Review please?

From the Alpine website it looks like the INE-S920HD and INE-Z928HD have the new software, while the INA-W910 is on an older version. The 920 has physical knobs & buttons and a 6.1" screen. The 928 looks similar but with no physical controls and a 8" screen, which unfortunately is a wasted opportunity since the resolution is the same as the 920 (800x480).

The INE-S920HD looks like the best option by the specs. Love to see a review.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Actually Crutchfiled has it on it's website and they give the unit quite high reviews. Alpine INE-S920HD Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com
    . I have used Crutchfiled several times and have found them to be quite good.

Can anyone who has swapped out the head unit confirm how Tesla handled it? Were they happy to put in whatever unit the owner wanted?

That Parrot Asteroid 2U looks like a really nice base for some EV-specific extensions.

Parrot - Parrot ASTEROID Smart
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Roadster 472 - S 440
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradleybang View Post
    Have you gotten your tesla back with the INE-S920HD? Review please?
    Yes. I'll do a review with pictures next week - but mini-review: It turned out excellent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by djp View Post
    From the Alpine website it looks like the INE-S920HD and INE-Z928HD have the new software, while the INA-W910 is on an older version. The 920 has physical knobs & buttons and a 6.1" screen. The 928 looks similar but with no physical controls and a 8" screen, which unfortunately is a wasted opportunity since the resolution is the same as the 920 (800x480).

The INE-S920HD looks like the best option by the specs. Love to see a review.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
    The INE-Z928HD is really a special form factor for pickup trucks and full-size SUVs.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wolfe View Post
    Yes. I'll do a review with pictures next week - but mini-review: It turned out excellent.
    Thanks. Can you comment on the user interface and the Nav as well? I'll probably stick with the current one for now but nice to know what is out there.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Roadster 472 - S 440
    No full review yet - but here are some photos.

I am very happy with the sound - due mostly to new Focal speakers.

As far as UI - it is not bad. I still don't have the phone UI fully working but calls come in. Pandora works over BT with a full UI. Ipod works fine but I'm not yet sure if power is maintained when the car is off or if the iPod is powered down when you turn off the car. Have not tried a CD or DVD.

Name:  DSC_1788.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  371.5 KBName:  DSC_1793.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  242.2 KBName:  DSC_1798.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  286.4 KBName:  DSC_1800.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  305.5 KB

Nice!

Are those the Focal IS 130s? And did you get coaxial speakers for the rears? I'm tempted to do the same.

Thread Information