Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 5 Compatibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried using an iPhone 5 in their new Model S? If so, i would appreciate answers to the following questions:

1) Can iPhone 5 features (e.g., selecting playlists, albums, podcasts, videos, contacts, etc.) be controlled from the car's 17" touchscreen when connected via USB with the new Lightening cable?
2) How does this compare with iPhone 4/4S connectivity via USB?
3) Does the iPhone battery charge when connected via USB?
4) What features can be controlled via Bluetooth using the iPhone?

Has anyone tried using an iPhone 5 in their new Model S? If so, i would appreciate answers to the following questions:

1) Can iPhone 5 features (e.g., selecting playlists, albums, podcasts, videos, contacts, etc.) be controlled from the car's 17" touchscreen when connected via USB with the new Lightening cable?
2) How does this compare with iPhone 4/4S connectivity via USB?
3) Does the iPhone battery charge when connected via USB?
4) What features can be controlled via Bluetooth using the iPhone?

I tried my iPhone 5 via the USB cable at the Tesla store opening in the Natick, MA mall, I can answer some things for you, I only had about 2-3 minutes in the car for testing... Also this was a preproduction "Signature" demo car in the mall, not a full Model S that is being delivered to customers. I don;t think the USB connectivity is going to work, but the Bluetooth worked very well, and since the cable can charge the iPhone 5, thats really all you need.

#1 I don't have any playlists, so cant answer this
#2 It does NOT connect via USB, at all.
#3 It does charge the iPhone 5
#4 I was able to select podcasts via the touchscreen and play them, and it transfered my contacts, all via Bluetooth once it was paired.

The big things that are missing without USB control are:
  1. Sound quality. USB is better.
  2. Fast forward and rewind. Bluetooth supports chapter/track skip, but if you want to just back up a few seconds to catch something you missed in a podcast, no joy.
  3. Song browsing and selection. You can't use the touchscreen to select a playlist or whatever. Siri works via BT though.

Any credible rumors as to whether Tesla will eventually release an update to enable USB connectivity for iPhones in the future? If they choose to do so, it will require different technologies for the iPhone 4 vs 5, given the new non-analog Lightening connector on the new phone.

Any credible rumors as to whether Tesla will eventually release an update to enable USB connectivity for iPhones in the future? If they choose to do so, it will require different technologies for the iPhone 4 vs 5, given the new non-analog Lightening connector on the new phone.

I don't think so. My iPhone 4 worked via USB on my Plug in Prius, the iPhone 5 works just as well with full integration to the Plug in Prius using the lightning USB cable. The trick is, it's all done via USB, and that seems to be the same... The "other" pins on the 30 pin connector aren't used.

Bluetooth is the only thing supported right now (confirmed).
The ball is in Tesla's court to decide whether or not they want to support the iPod accessory protocol and give us what other cars have had for years over USB.

I don't think so. My iPhone 4 worked via USB on my Plug in Prius, the iPhone 5 works just as well with full integration to the Plug in Prius using the lightning USB cable. The trick is, it's all done via USB, and that seems to be the same... The "other" pins on the 30 pin connector aren't used.

You're lucky that the iPhone 5 Lightening USB cable works on your Prius. No such luck when trying to use the iPhone 5 cable in BMWs.

I posted a similar response on the TM forum. I asked specifically about USB connectivity. I was primarily concerned about tethering the Model S to my phone using a USB connection. My rep said that this topic had just come up during a meeting so he was familiar with the issue. They first spoke about creating a hotspot with your phone and then having the Model S connect via wifi to the phone. My rep said that George Blankenship then said, "or you can just plug it into the USB." It appears that USB tethering is something that is on the agenda for Tesla. Honestly, if a car this technically advanced cannot perform basic functions that most luxury brands already perform, and some mid-level cars are already offering, then it would be a huge black eye for Tesla. I honestly feel that USB connectivity will ultimately be included in a software update. I think it's a bit bush league that is has not been done already. Same thing for the wifi. The car can do it, it just hasn't been enabled. WTF is up with that anyway? Seriously.

My guess is that most of these kinds of features won't be enabled until early next year through the various software updates. I'd rather everything just work and they add one thing at a time to test it out.