Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are signed for PSE Green Power or similar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't bother if I was in Seattle; their power is already pretty clean. But I'm on the East side so I have been on PSE's green power program since even before I went EV a few years ago. My house is surrounded by trees so I can't do solar (although I have invested in a community solar project).

I didn't actually sign up when they first offered it; I cynically figured they had a program anyway and me paying extra wouldn't make a difference (that is, they wouldn't build more if more people signed up). But then I dug around a little more and found that a non-profit checks their numbers and makes sure that they really build enough capacity the cover the people that sign up. I like that aspect.

The utility is regulated, and has to provide power at the lowest possible cost--without regards for external costs. So paying extra for a program like this was the only way to help clean things up. The extra cost is small, and at some point volume, innovation and better regulations should make this necessary. A couple of years ago several local Roadster owners got to tour one of the wind farms that is part of this program; the employees seemed awfully excited about the great things they were allowed to do with just a little bit of extra money.

Of course, this is all my recollection of a situation I tried to assess as a lay person several years ago. I hope rolo or r.b or somebody with industry ties can step in if things have changed or I misunderstood it.

I've been on it with PSE since they started.

OT, but about to replace my water heater, trying to decide on the cleanest thing to get there. Its currently propane, choices seem to be to solar powered electric, heat pump electric, tankless electric/propane... Want to move everything to solar but probably moving in a year or two so waiting til after that. (maybe solarcity will be here by then too)

There's several companies doing solar in the area. About two years ago I asked local Roadster owners who they used for solar projects and got several positive replies about several different companies. Only one bad reply (but forgot which company). Good to know there are a lot of good ways to go.

I have never used PugetSoundSolar.com, but if I was to do a project I would talk to them first. Their CEO is a long-time SEVA member and people that have gone with them comment that not only are they cheaper, but they also spends a lot of time up front explaining all the options and figuring out what's best for you. I think they do solar water systems as well as PV.

I have never used PugetSoundSolar.com, but if I was to do a project I would talk to them first.
I share that impression, their folks seemed knowledgeable and experienced.

OT, but about to replace my water heater,
Same here. Currently looking at the A.O. Smith Line. If you don't mind it'd be nice to know what you chose. I'll PM if I get around to it first.

I wouldn't bother if I was in Seattle; their power is already pretty clean..
Yup - for the curious: Seattle City Light | Fuel Mix

I have been since they started with the REC program, but would like to know how many of you know about your electricity provider's REC program (PSE is branded "Green Power") how many of you use it, (and if not.. why not!)

Changing your sources of electricity How To Change a Light Bulb
More Details on PSE Green Power How To Change a Light Bulb

Signing up is super easy

Won't sign up for that but I have signed up for the time of use program. This means I will pay 4.5 cents per KwH instead of over 10 at off peak times. I expect to charge the vehicle at night after 10pm as a result.

I signed up, not because I was sure that it was a good program, but in case it was. I'm pretty suspicious of corporations who want me to contribute to particular worthy sounding causes such as sending a newspaper to schools when I'm out of town as just a way for the newspaper to be able to continue to charge me. However, I'm pleased to see that the PSE is a real program, worthy of support, that promotes green energy rather than just padding PSE's bottom line.

Yep, this is a good program, and I've been doing it for years. Maybe one day they'll have a rational cheaper night time charging rate and I'd go for that too. That always seems to turn into a confusing charging regime that is hard to understand if its really cheaper.

PSE offers time of use pricing for residential customers? I've been unable to find this. Please send a pointer.
I'm wondering if it's a grandfathered plan. philiparnason maybe you can tell us a bit more?
I was talking with a PSE program manager about what EV owners ask for and buy (TOU, separate meters, etc) and she was quite clear about PSE not having TOU plan anymore. This was 6-12 months ago however.

I'm wondering if it's a grandfathered plan. philiparnason maybe you can tell us a bit more?
I was talking with a PSE program manager about what EV owners ask for and buy (TOU, separate meters, etc) and she was quite clear about PSE not having TOU plan anymore. This was 6-12 months ago however.

Based on his previous posts, I believe philiparnason is in Portland, which does offer TOU: Time Of Use: Pricing | PGE

Sorry, no such luck for us up in PSE country.