Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of installing one of these retractable cord reels in my garage. Either from the ceiling or wall.

137_01.jpg

M-evse-llc-ev-charger-overhead-parking-garage.jpg

Has anyone installed one? Or researched one?

I have Cox Reels electrical and pneumatic hose reels in my workshop. I have it setup for less for 120v at 15A. Not sure if they'd be rated for 230v and what specific amperage. The mechanism that allows for the reels to move seems a bit iffy for high amperage use and arcing. In my case the Cox reel has a copper hub and spring loaded arc shaped copper "brake" that applies pressure to hub while allowing it to rotate freely while passing current.

Depending on the length of cable, you'll have to upsize as cables will heat up more so as they are coiled versus uncoiled.

Roadster folks have done something similar. It's better not to have the cord coiled up. Perhaps just a counterweight system that keeps most of the cord out of the way.

I currently have a dual counterweight system for my two chargers. I will need to add a third one upon arrival of the Model S. Roadster connector is retracted next to right door opener.

Slide 25.JPG

Just realized, the retractable coil wouldn't work unless you cut your UMC cable after the electronics box and spliced the cable through the hose reel. Either that or you'll have to make a very short UMC cable attached to the hose reel.

The counterweight seems to be the best bet.

• Helpful
Reactions: S0XY
I'm definitely going to setup something like donauker has, but I need to see how long the cable is before I do it since I'm not sure how much room I have to play. My intent was a pulley type system that holds the charging cable. Sort of like these, put a couple on either side of the garage door to arch the cable from the wall well over the car (but below the garage door rails).
1004805_PC3_A_400.jpg

When I start getting set up for my X I'll do something similar, although I do think the coiled systems are a bit questionable due to heating. I plan on keeping it as open as possible and sized so it can't get down to the floor.

That retracting reel CKessel shows looks interesting, where did you get it?

When I start getting set up for my X I'll do something similar, although I do think the coiled systems are a bit questionable due to heating. I plan on keeping it as open as possible and sized so it can't get down to the floor.

Googling for "retractable garage pulley" or some such :) I haven't bought it, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind.

Googling for "retractable garage pulley" or some such :) I haven't bought it, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind.

Try searching for the term 'tool balancer'.