Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planned trips around California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason S

Model S Sig Perf (P85)
Apr 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA
Since I'm researching some trips I'd like to drive the Model S this year, I'd thought I'd share my findings.

In each case I'm looking at round trip from Rocklin/Roseville area to the destination.

Trip1 -- Disneyland (~500 miles one way)
Could be a straight shot to Harris Ranch (~200 miles), supercharge, then Tejon Ranch (~130 miles more), supercharge to top up, over the hill (grapevine) then charge @ Disneyland (~130 miles more) for the few days. I haven't figured out a hotel or anything like that, figure easy charging will make or break some of the hotel choices but the 130 miles to Tejon Ranch supercharger makes the trip much easier than without that particular one.

The other method takes me by my parents for a visit in Clovis (~200 miles). Substitute that for Harris Ranch but there is no supercharger. So I'm having a NEMA 14-50 installed for them. Makes weekend trips possible when a 110V made weekend trips much more difficult.

Trip2 -- McKinleyville/Eureka (~320 miles)
This one is a bit tricky and will require a NEMA at far end as well. This is my wife's parents place. This trip takes advantage of a place off I-5 called Berry Patch restaurant (~120 miles). Berry Patch has "Tesla" chargers, so I think I'll need an adapter for that. And the in-laws recommend a stop there anyhow.

Trip3 -- San Jose (140 miles) ... ok this one is pretty easy. Zip over, charge a bit from w/e I can find there, zip back.

Trip4 -- San Francisco (110 miles) super easy. Don't even need charging.

Wine Country... need a bit of charging, maybe. No big deal.

Really looking forward to the car.

Since I'm researching some trips I'd like to drive the Model S this year, I'd thought I'd share my findings.

In each case I'm looking at round trip from Rocklin/Roseville area to the destination.

Trip1 -- Disneyland (~500 miles one way)
Could be a straight shot to Harris Ranch (~200 miles), supercharge, then Tejon Ranch (~130 miles more), supercharge to top up, over the hill (grapevine) then charge @ Disneyland (~130 miles more) for the few days. I haven't figured out a hotel or anything like that, figure easy charging will make or break some of the hotel choices but the 130 miles to Tejon Ranch supercharger makes the trip much easier than without that particular one.

The other method takes me by my parents for a visit in Clovis (~200 miles). Substitute that for Harris Ranch but there is no supercharger. So I'm having a NEMA 14-50 installed for them. Makes weekend trips possible when a 110V made weekend trips much more difficult.

This one is a bit tricky and will require a NEMA at far end as well. This is my wife's parents place. This trip takes advantage of a place off I-5 called Berry Patch restaurant (~120 miles). Berry Patch has "Tesla" chargers, so I think I'll need an adapter for that. And the in-laws recommend a stop there anyhow.

Trip3 -- San Jose (140 miles) ... ok this one is pretty easy. Zip over, charge a bit from w/e I can find there, zip back.

Trip4 -- San Francisco (110 miles) super easy. Don't even need charging.

Wine Country... need a bit of charging, maybe. No big deal.

Really looking forward to the car.

From where I am (Corona/Ontario/Riverside, CA) the major trips I make are to visit family or friends. Most of my family is in the northern parts of Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) and Palmdale. No need for a charger for any of that. However, I have a sister who just moved into a beautiful beach front property in San Francisco (and made me insanely jealous of her job in the process, something that a few years ago I did not think possible :smile:) I very much plan on visiting as often as possible and will use the existing charge stations in the Central Valley.

I routinely vacation (every 2 or 3 years) at Lake Havasu, and I have no idea yet how I'll manage that in a Model S. But the biggie for me is being able to go to Vegas a couple of times each year. I can make it without charging, but I was really, really looking forward to a Barstow SuperCharger. The Tesla gods smiled upon me, which should let me drive 80 the whole way with just a 20-30 minute charge in Barstow.

The rest of my driving needs basically involve skiing in Big Bear, driving to the beach, etc. and I don't expect any problems because I am close to all of those. Heck, I can even make it the ~140 miles to Santa Barbara for favorite place to take a hot date, and will only need a modest charge to make it a round trip :)

Do I see one at San Luis Obispo on the 2 year plan?
I sure hope so. My son's Model S arrives soon. He lives in the SF area, and coming to visit in Santa Barbara is a problem. A charge in Gilroy is 247 miles. On an 85 kWh battery it may be doable, but it is a push. Once he gets here, of course, he just uses my NEMA 14-50 overnight and he is fine. San Luis would be perfect!

I sure hope so. My son's Model S arrives soon. He lives in the SF area, and coming to visit in Santa Barbara is a problem. A charge in Gilroy is 247 miles. On an 85 kWh battery it may be doable, but it is a push. Once he gets here, of course, he just uses my NEMA 14-50 overnight and he is fine. San Luis would be perfect!

Looks like you're getting one in Santa Barbara too. Of course, these maps are a bit cartoonish.

attachment.php

I would take hwy 20 to Eureka from where you are. My sister is in El Dorado hills area and I plan on doing the opposite trip of you. Ukiah has chargers at the courthouse and some other spots around town from what I've heard. you could pick up a few miles there or probably Willits or Garberville. If you take 101 instead of 5 there is also hwy 254 (old 101) for part of the trip, and you can drive it slower - very pretty. I'm thinking i will be able to do the Eureka -South Bay trip without a charge if I can keep below 65 for the cloverdale area(which I've never done - yet) and take a couple of the slower roads.

Already did the trip to/from Clovis. Was really easy. Didn't need the range charge, but did so on the way down. The NEMA 14-50 recharged ~200 miles in 9 hours, so that worked out great.

Next trip is going to be pretty easy: Rocklin to Santa Cruz (~168 miles) to Gilroy (~36 miles) to Clovis (~121 miles). Gilroy for the supercharger. Then back over to Clovis for at least 8 hours and up to Rocklin. That's the plan for Thanksgiving Thursday then back up to Rocklin on Friday or Saturday I think.

The worrisome part is the mountains around Santa Cruz. 168 miles with some possible traffic on the 17 might make getting to Gilroy (another 36 miles) a little bit of a stretch. I think I'll charge for range mode just so the 204 miles has some buffer.

There are 70A J1772's (Tesla Roadster HPC's that have been converted) at Rabobanks all along 101 so no need for an SC.

Yes, but the 70A J1772's are often occupied by Volts etc and there is only one at each spot--Salinas, Atascadero, Santa Maria, and Santa Barbara at the Rabobanks (Rabobanks only only have chargers in those cities, not at other Rabobanks in other cities) and at the Marsh Garage in San Luis Obispo. Gilroy is 250 miles from Santa Barbara. And Santa Barbara is 100 miles to LA So you can't make it to LA down 101 from Gilroy without a charge. It is a MUCH nicer drive than going down I-5. The 70A as mentioned, are occasionally occupied, and will be more so as more EVs come on line in the future. And 70A chargers are MUCH slower than a Supercharger. And Superchargers won't be competing with Leafs and Volts--only Model S--not even Roadsters.) The bottom line--a Supercharger is needed between Gillroy and LA. San Luis Obispo is in the middle and is a really nice place to stop. I'd vote for a Supercharger there rather than in surrounding cities.

Yes, but the 70A J1772's are often occupied by Volts etc and there is only one at each spot--Salinas, Atascadero, Santa Maria, and Santa Barbara at the Rabobanks (Rabobanks only only have chargers in those cities, not at other Rabobanks in other cities) and at the Marsh Garage in San Luis Obispo. Gilroy is 250 miles from Santa Barbara. And Santa Barbara is 100 miles to LA So you can't make it to LA down 101 from Gilroy without a charge. It is a MUCH nicer drive than going down I-5. The 70A as mentioned, are occasionally occupied, and will be more so as more EVs come on line in the future. And 70A chargers are MUCH slower than a Supercharger. And Superchargers won't be competing with Leafs and Volts--only Model S--not even Roadsters.) The bottom line--a Supercharger is needed between Gillroy and LA. San Luis Obispo is in the middle and is a really nice place to stop. I'd vote for a Supercharger there rather than in surrounding cities.

Sniff! I remember not too long ago when Timothy was just a newbie asking where to plug his car in.

They grow up so fast!

Just got my Model S last Sunday, and planning on a weekend trip to Santa Barbara from LA next weekend. Notice a few folks here are in SB. Any tips on easy places to top off? I guess technically I can go no charge (it's about 200mi round trip), but I like having the freedom to drive spiritedly.

Just got my Model S last Sunday, and planning on a weekend trip to Santa Barbara from LA next weekend. Notice a few folks here are in SB. Any tips on easy places to top off? I guess technically I can go no charge (it's about 200mi round trip), but I like having the freedom to drive spiritedly.

You shouldn't need any extra juice, but there are many chargers in SB. The fastest is at the Rabobank on Calle Real in Goleta off Fairview. 240v/70amps. Downtown is a 30 amp charger at the Granada Garage and another at the garage across from the court house. And another at the beach. Check out the recargo app for your cell phone. I'd recommend ordering a ChargePoint and a Blink card as well.

Enjoy Santa Barbara!

You shouldn't need any extra juice, but there are many chargers in SB. The fastest is at the Rabobank on Calle Real in Goleta off Fairview. 240v/70amps. Downtown is a 30 amp charger at the Granada Garage and another at the garage across from the court house. And another at the beach. Check out the recargo app for your cell phone. I'd recommend ordering a ChargePoint and a Blink card as well.

Enjoy Santa Barbara!

Great thanks!

Yep, just got a Chargepoint card through work. Will need to pick up a Blink one. Just downloaded all 3 apps too! (Blink, Chargepoint, Recargo).

Earlier this week I drove my son's Model S (SSL 261--3500 miles already in 2 months!) from Santa Barbara to Hillsborough. SB to Salinas is 220 miles. I arrived with 6 miles left on the clock. Yes, a little range anxiety, but I knew I'd make it. An hour charge for safety sake, and off to Gilroy. Wow, the SuperCharger was impressive! 1/2 hour charge and I got a gazillion miles!

A SuperCharger in San Luis Obispo would be perfect--eliminating that hour in Salinas and would make the stop in Gilroy unnecessary. SB to SLO is 110 miles. SLO to Hillsborough --200 miles. Easy one hop. Charge in SLO and have a bite, empty the tank (No, not the car!)

On the way home if you want to go to LA, another 100 miles beyond SB so a total of 210 from SLO to LA--one hop without even needing a charger in SB!

So a charger in SLO would alow a trip from LA to SLO--charge--then to Silion Valley with no further stops. If you need to go further, a stop in Gilroy would give you more juice.

I returned to Santa Barbara in my Roadster today--1 hour charge in Salinas, 2 hours in Atascadero. What a pain. The Model S is a much refined car compared to the Roadster. But--do I want to trade my Roadster for one? No way--I love that Roadster!!

Timothy (or any other SB locals) - So I'll be staying at the Bacara this Sunday. Just called, seems they have valet and charge ports there! Quick question though, since I haven't valeted my Model S yet, has anyone had experiences doing that there?

Timothy (or any other SB locals) - So I'll be staying at the Bacara this Sunday. Just called, seems they have valet and charge ports there! Quick question though, since I haven't valeted my Model S yet, has anyone had experiences doing that there?

You should have a nice time--the Bacara is very good.

I have driven my son's Model S--but don't own one and have never tried the valet mode on either the Model S or my Roadster. Personally, when I go to places with valet parking, I just tell them the car is special and I need to park it myself. I don't want some clown messing with my car!

You should have a nice time--the Bacara is very good.

I have driven my son's Model S--but don't own one and have never tried the valet mode on either the Model S or my Roadster. Personally, when I go to places with valet parking, I just tell them the car is special and I need to park it myself. I don't want some clown messing with my car!

Thanks Timothy. Yeah, this is my first realllly nice car so I've never had the ability to say my car was special and go park it myself. I'll try that this weekend though (fingers crossed).