Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planned trips around California

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586

Planned trips around California

Since I'm researching some trips I'd like to drive the Model S this year, I'd thought I'd share my findings.

In each case I'm looking at round trip from Rocklin/Roseville area to the destination.

Trip1 -- Disneyland (~500 miles one way)
    Could be a straight shot to Harris Ranch (~200 miles), supercharge, then Tejon Ranch (~130 miles more), supercharge to top up, over the hill (grapevine) then charge @ Disneyland (~130 miles more) for the few days. I haven't figured out a hotel or anything like that, figure easy charging will make or break some of the hotel choices but the 130 miles to Tejon Ranch supercharger makes the trip much easier than without that particular one.

The other method takes me by my parents for a visit in Clovis (~200 miles). Substitute that for Harris Ranch but there is no supercharger. So I'm having a NEMA 14-50 installed for them. Makes weekend trips possible when a 110V made weekend trips much more difficult.

Trip2 -- McKinleyville/Eureka (~320 miles)
    This one is a bit tricky and will require a NEMA at far end as well. This is my wife's parents place. This trip takes advantage of a place off I-5 called Berry Patch restaurant (~120 miles). Berry Patch has "Tesla" chargers, so I think I'll need an adapter for that. And the in-laws recommend a stop there anyhow.

Trip3 -- San Jose (140 miles) ... ok this one is pretty easy. Zip over, charge a bit from w/e I can find there, zip back.

Trip4 -- San Francisco (110 miles) super easy. Don't even need charging.

Wine Country... need a bit of charging, maybe. No big deal.

Really looking forward to the car.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post
    Since I'm researching some trips I'd like to drive the Model S this year, I'd thought I'd share my findings.

In each case I'm looking at round trip from Rocklin/Roseville area to the destination.

Trip1 -- Disneyland (~500 miles one way)
    Could be a straight shot to Harris Ranch (~200 miles), supercharge, then Tejon Ranch (~130 miles more), supercharge to top up, over the hill (grapevine) then charge @ Disneyland (~130 miles more) for the few days. I haven't figured out a hotel or anything like that, figure easy charging will make or break some of the hotel choices but the 130 miles to Tejon Ranch supercharger makes the trip much easier than without that particular one.

The other method takes me by my parents for a visit in Clovis (~200 miles). Substitute that for Harris Ranch but there is no supercharger. So I'm having a NEMA 14-50 installed for them. Makes weekend trips possible when a 110V made weekend trips much more difficult.

This one is a bit tricky and will require a NEMA at far end as well. This is my wife's parents place. This trip takes advantage of a place off I-5 called Berry Patch restaurant (~120 miles). Berry Patch has "Tesla" chargers, so I think I'll need an adapter for that. And the in-laws recommend a stop there anyhow.

Trip3 -- San Jose (140 miles) ... ok this one is pretty easy. Zip over, charge a bit from w/e I can find there, zip back.

Trip4 -- San Francisco (110 miles) super easy. Don't even need charging.

Wine Country... need a bit of charging, maybe. No big deal.

Really looking forward to the car.
    From where I am (Corona/Ontario/Riverside, CA) the major trips I make are to visit family or friends. Most of my family is in the northern parts of Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) and Palmdale. No need for a charger for any of that. However, I have a sister who just moved into a beautiful beach front property in San Francisco (and made me insanely jealous of her job in the process, something that a few years ago I did not think possible ) I very much plan on visiting as often as possible and will use the existing charge stations in the Central Valley.

I routinely vacation (every 2 or 3 years) at Lake Havasu, and I have no idea yet how I'll manage that in a Model S. But the biggie for me is being able to go to Vegas a couple of times each year. I can make it without charging, but I was really, really looking forward to a Barstow SuperCharger. The Tesla gods smiled upon me, which should let me drive 80 the whole way with just a 20-30 minute charge in Barstow.

The rest of my driving needs basically involve skiing in Big Bear, driving to the beach, etc. and I don't expect any problems because I am close to all of those. Heck, I can even make it the ~140 miles to Santa Barbara for favorite place to take a hot date, and will only need a modest charge to make it a round trip

Do I see one at San Luis Obispo on the 2 year plan?

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    I sure hope so. My son's Model S arrives soon. He lives in the SF area, and coming to visit in Santa Barbara is a problem. A charge in Gilroy is 247 miles. On an 85 kWh battery it may be doable, but it is a push. Once he gets here, of course, he just uses my NEMA 14-50 overnight and he is fine. San Luis would be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I sure hope so. My son's Model S arrives soon. He lives in the SF area, and coming to visit in Santa Barbara is a problem. A charge in Gilroy is 247 miles. On an 85 kWh battery it may be doable, but it is a push. Once he gets here, of course, he just uses my NEMA 14-50 overnight and he is fine. San Luis would be perfect!
    Looks like you're getting one in Santa Barbara too. Of course, these maps are a bit cartoonish.

Looks like you're getting one in Santa Barbara too. Of course, these maps are a bit cartoonish.

Maybe. And that will be good for others who are on a trip. But for us, of course, we just plug in at home at night and are rarin' to roll in the morning!

This was Bing's splash image yesterday. I think a trip to Mono Lake would probably be really cool. You would have to find a place to charge near there while you walk around.

Name:  hprichbg.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  191.8 KB

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason S View Post

I would take hwy 20 to Eureka from where you are. My sister is in El Dorado hills area and I plan on doing the opposite trip of you. Ukiah has chargers at the courthouse and some other spots around town from what I've heard. you could pick up a few miles there or probably Willits or Garberville. If you take 101 instead of 5 there is also hwy 254 (old 101) for part of the trip, and you can drive it slower - very pretty. I'm thinking i will be able to do the Eureka -South Bay trip without a charge if I can keep below 65 for the cloverdale area(which I've never done - yet) and take a couple of the slower roads.

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    Already did the trip to/from Clovis. Was really easy. Didn't need the range charge, but did so on the way down. The NEMA 14-50 recharged ~200 miles in 9 hours, so that worked out great.

Next trip is going to be pretty easy: Rocklin to Santa Cruz (~168 miles) to Gilroy (~36 miles) to Clovis (~121 miles). Gilroy for the supercharger. Then back over to Clovis for at least 8 hours and up to Rocklin. That's the plan for Thanksgiving Thursday then back up to Rocklin on Friday or Saturday I think.

The worrisome part is the mountains around Santa Cruz. 168 miles with some possible traffic on the 17 might make getting to Gilroy (another 36 miles) a little bit of a stretch. I think I'll charge for range mode just so the 204 miles has some buffer.

There are 70A J1772's (Tesla Roadster HPC's that have been converted) at Rabobanks all along 101 so no need for an SC.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Thread Information