Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: XM Satellite Radio reception in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Can anyone who's gotten their Model S comment on the XM Sat reception? I'm particularly interested in the standard (non-pano) roof since they had to make a change to include XM in that configuration and I'm curious if reception will be acceptable. Also, if you previously had XM and experience with reception issues in your area how the XM reception in the S compares.

Of course info from pano vehicles is welcome too as others will be interested.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Does anyone know what "XM Ready" means? If I pay about $1,000 for the upgraded sound system I get "XM Read?" Do I have to buy a radio and somehow integrate it? In my other vehicles it was built into the sound system, all I had to do was add a subscription.

Does anyone know what "XM Ready" means? If I pay about $1,000 for the upgraded sound system I get "XM Read?" Do I have to buy a radio and somehow integrate it? In my other vehicles it was built into the sound system, all I had to do was add a subscription.

Means the module is in place, you just need to pay for a subscription and activate it.

Sure. I don't use it that much but next time I'm out I'll check it out. It seems fine from the last time I used it. I mostly listen to NPR though. Any particular channel I should check out?

Reception of XM is more determined by geography than anything else. See this thread: Satellite-Radio-in-Florida

P.S. Channel won't make a difference. But I'm addicted to Coffee House.

Last edited:
dsm363: Please check any music channel playing music you like. I am not asking for a comparison with other media just your opinion of how XM delivered via Tesla's installed radio sounds to you. We have XM in all our vehicles, reception via OEM radios and I find the quality to be "CD like." Which for us is very acceptable.

XM quality in any car is pretty bad. Since the XM Sirius merge they have compressed the hell out of every channel to less than FM quality. With options like using a USB key, iPod, Internet Radio, and HD radio I decided not to transfer my subscription to the S from my previous Lexus and just cancelled it.

XM quality in any car is pretty bad. Since the XM Sirius merge they have compressed the hell out of every channel to less than FM quality. With options like using a USB key, iPod, Internet Radio, and HD radio I decided not to transfer my subscription to the S from my previous Lexus and just cancelled it.

It's true. Even the compressed MP3s on my iPod sound way better than XM currently does. I think my current XM subscription runs out right around the time I'm expecting my S, so I'll probably just let it run out and not renew as well.

I like it. Sound quality is ok for news, talk radio, weather, traffic and sports. Agree that in Model S the music from my iPhone sounds much better than XM.

Reception here was better than I expected, but remains to be seen how it works in the city where almost everyone loses the XM signal.

P.S. What I REALLY hate is dealing with the incompetent and almost unintelligible overseas call center that SiriusXM uses.

I have yet to hear the difference, in a moving car, that compressing (deleting frequencies not detectable by the ordinary human ear) makes. I fully believe that some people can hear it, however, I don't. Perhaps in the Model S it will be a real issue for me and I will have to stop listening to XM and record music to a USB drive. I will be unhappy because the only reason I am buying the Sound Studio package is to gain XM reception.