Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Audio: XM Satellite Radio reception in Model S

  1. #21
    Model S Sig. 517
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    51
    I agree, XM quality is pretty lousy. Not just in the Tesla but in other cars also. It's fine if you just want to have some music on in the background or listen to news. If I really want to listen to music I stream from my phone.

    I'm also becoming a fan of Slacker in the car. Much better audio quality than XM.

  2. #22
    Roadster#433, Model S#S37 Cottonwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,131
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I know, but I'm not sure that Sarasota qualifies as a "major city"

    I was around town today and coverage seemed ok, but I lost signal a couple of times on the barrier islands.
    When out of range of the urban repeaters, the SirusXM signal is essentially line of sight to the satellite. The satellites are in geosynchronous orbit over the equator. I don't have the calculations nearby, but in Florida, the elevation angle above the horizon should be about 50˚ or so, so you would have to be under an overpass or behind a tree or tall bush the south of you. This time of year (low sun angle), if you are in the sun mid-day, you have a very good chance of getting the SirusXM signal. In Seattle, the elevation angle is about 30˚ and at Eureka, Nunavut, Canada, the elevation angle is only a couple of degrees above the horizon. Of course the SirusXM satellite antenna beam pattern doesn't cover Eureka and you can't drive to Eureka...

  3. #23
    Moderator NigelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    11,059
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    ....in Florida, the elevation angle above the horizon should be about 50˚ or so, so you would have to be under an overpass or behind a tree or tall bush the south of you.
    Ahem, that's exactly why it's a problem around town and Florida does have a few palm trees dotted around.. Over my first 6 days now I've hit several areas where the signal drops. Note that Sirius and XM use different broadcast satellites.

  4. #24
    Roadster#433, Model S#S37 Cottonwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,131
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Ahem, that's exactly why it's a problem around town and Florida does have a few palm trees dotted around.. Over my first 6 days now I've hit several areas where the signal drops. Note that Sirius and XM use different broadcast satellites.
    Sirius and XM use different satellites, but both are geosynchronous satellites over the equator. They just have different locations in longitude some degrees apart east-west.

  5. #25
    Moderator NigelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    11,059
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    Sirius and XM use different satellites, but both are geosynchronous satellites over the equator. They just have different locations in longitude some degrees apart east-west.
    Sirius satellites are geosynchronous but XM satellites are geostationary. Take a look here: Satellite-Radio-in-Florida

  6. #26
    Member michiganmodels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    753
    I activated Sirius/XM in my Model S (I have the Pano roof). The reception is great. I have not dropped the signal after one week of use. However, my Sirus/XM does not pull album art (it does pull album art for FM, Slacker, Bluetooth iPhone, etc.). Does anyone else have this problem?

  7. #27
    MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891 spatterso911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganmodels View Post
    I activated Sirius/XM in my Model S (I have the Pano roof). The reception is great. I have not dropped the signal after one week of use. However, my Sirus/XM does not pull album art (it does pull album art for FM, Slacker, Bluetooth iPhone, etc.). Does anyone else have this problem?
    Are there any sirius/XM radios that display album art? I wonder if that data is even transmitted...I have no idea.
    http://www.teslacountdown.com/modelx...891?size=small

    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

    Delivered: Model S - VIN 3498: Performance, Black/Black/CF; Grey 21" rims; Pano; Tech; Sound studio; Parcel Shelf; Paint armor; Twin Chargers; HPWC;

  8. #28
    The artist and title of the track is sent, but so many stations send over jibberish with it like the hosts twitter handle and such

  9. #29
    Senior Member cinergi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    2,044
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by spatterso911 View Post
    Are there any sirius/XM radios that display album art? I wonder if that data is even transmitted...I have no idea.
    The Model S gets the album artwork by looking up the album/track text that is sent with the audio and fetching it via its own 3G connection (important to understand AnOutsider's comment above).
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

  10. #30
    MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891 spatterso911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    The Model S gets the album artwork by looking up the album/track text that is sent with the audio and fetching it via its own 3G connection (important to understand AnOutsider's comment above).
    Awesome feature. I suppose it is possible then, provided there is enough metadata sent to distinguish song/artist of similar name.
    http://www.teslacountdown.com/modelx...891?size=small

    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

    Delivered: Model S - VIN 3498: Performance, Black/Black/CF; Grey 21" rims; Pano; Tech; Sound studio; Parcel Shelf; Paint armor; Twin Chargers; HPWC;

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. XM Satellite Radio--3 Mo free trial included?
    By efusco in forum Model S: User Interface
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 2013-11-11, 10:00 PM
  2. AM Radio Reception
    By Pantera Dude in forum Roadster
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2012-12-10, 11:06 AM
  3. 3G Connectivity & Satellite Radio
    By Todd Burch in forum Model S: User Interface
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2012-10-16, 06:00 AM
  4. Model S remote diagnostics - over satellite?!
    By AndyM in forum Model S: User Interface
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2012-08-30, 10:01 AM
  5. Satellite Radio in Florida
    By NigelM in forum Florida
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2012-03-27, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •