Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audio: XM Satellite Radio reception in Model S

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackA View Post
    dsm363: can you comment on the quality of XM sound in the Model S?
    Sure. I don't use it that much but next time I'm out I'll check it out. It seems fine from the last time I used it. I mostly listen to NPR though. Any particular channel I should check out?
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Sure. I don't use it that much but next time I'm out I'll check it out. It seems fine from the last time I used it. I mostly listen to NPR though. Any particular channel I should check out?
    Reception of XM is more determined by geography than anything else. See this thread: Satellite-Radio-in-Florida

P.S. Channel won't make a difference. But I'm addicted to Coffee House.
    Last edited by NigelM; 2012-10-30 at 06:42 AM.

dsm363: Please check any music channel playing music you like. I am not asking for a comparison with other media just your opinion of how XM delivered via Tesla's installed radio sounds to you. We have XM in all our vehicles, reception via OEM radios and I find the quality to be "CD like." Which for us is very acceptable.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Reception of XM is more determined by geography than anything else. See this thread: Satellite-Radio-in-Florida

P.S. Channel won't make a difference. But I'm addicted to Coffee House.
    Thanks. That makes sense. Reception is fine here in Texas. No problems with the music channels so far.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    XM quality in any car is pretty bad. Since the XM Sirius merge they have compressed the hell out of every channel to less than FM quality. With options like using a USB key, iPod, Internet Radio, and HD radio I decided not to transfer my subscription to the S from my previous Lexus and just cancelled it.
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

Quote Originally Posted by DrComputer View Post
    XM quality in any car is pretty bad. Since the XM Sirius merge they have compressed the hell out of every channel to less than FM quality. With options like using a USB key, iPod, Internet Radio, and HD radio I decided not to transfer my subscription to the S from my previous Lexus and just cancelled it.
    It's true. Even the compressed MP3s on my iPod sound way better than XM currently does. I think my current XM subscription runs out right around the time I'm expecting my S, so I'll probably just let it run out and not renew as well.

Blog Entries
    I like it. Sound quality is ok for news, talk radio, weather, traffic and sports. Agree that in Model S the music from my iPhone sounds much better than XM.

Reception here was better than I expected, but remains to be seen how it works in the city where almost everyone loses the XM signal.

P.S. What I REALLY hate is dealing with the incompetent and almost unintelligible overseas call center that SiriusXM uses.

BLUTSLA #516-REDTSLA #272 DrComputer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Reception here was better than I expected, but remains to be seen how it works in the city where almost everyone loses the XM signal.
    In most major cities XM Sirius uses ground repeaters to fill in the satellite gaps. Here in LA I could get XM in most parking structures because of the ground repeaters.
    2010 Tesla Roadster #516
    2012 Model S Signature Performance #272
    6kW Solar System by REC Solar with TigoEnergy optimization and monitoring

I have yet to hear the difference, in a moving car, that compressing (deleting frequencies not detectable by the ordinary human ear) makes. I fully believe that some people can hear it, however, I don't. Perhaps in the Model S it will be a real issue for me and I will have to stop listening to XM and record music to a USB drive. I will be unhappy because the only reason I am buying the Sound Studio package is to gain XM reception.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrComputer View Post
    In most major cities XM Sirius uses ground repeaters to fill in the satellite gaps.
    I know, but I'm not sure that Sarasota qualifies as a "major city"

I was around town today and coverage seemed ok, but I lost signal a couple of times on the barrier islands.

Thread Information