Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd test drive today in DC, this is in a silver 85 kWh non-performance version: wow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month I was fortunate enough to arrange a last minute test drive when I visited the Menlo Park store on the spur of the moment. That drive was in a Performance version, but I only had about 20 minutes behind the wheel.

Today I visited the DC Store for a pre-arranged test drive. This time, guided by store Assistant Manager Kadira Mitchell, I had 40 minutes in the car and covered city streets as well as a good stretch on I-395 across the Potomac and back. I drove a silver 85 kWh non-performance version Here are some photos of me and the car.

DSC_2247.JPG

DSC_2249.JPG

DSC_2251.JPG

DSC_2255.JPG

I was overwhelmed by the car's performance, handling, comfort, and ride, and I base this judgment on driving many BMWs and even a Ferrari. This car is a game-changer for sure. I had any number of opportunities to test the car's acceleration in all kinds of conditions and frankly, the nonperformance version is damned impressive. I was leaping ahead of, jumping around, and accelerating away from traffic in all kinds of conditions. A few times a BMW and a number of other hot-rodders pulled along side on I-695 as if to test the S's mettle. They were toast. I also use the HD back camera as a rear-view mirror for most of the drive. It's fantastic, as it covers all of the blind spots and then some. When I was on the pedal things were receding into the distance very quickly.

Based on this drive, I'm not sure now whether I'll spring for the performance version of the 85 kWh model. If I do, it will be largely to provide further support for my aggressive driving tendencies and to satisfy my ego. But I'll have to think long and hard about that decision, as the non-performance 85 kWh version actually has quite extraordinary performance.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this update, Artsci. I just signed my PMVPA on a standard 85 this week, and have been second-guessing the decision every so often in the days since. You just reaffirmed my original assessment after my Get Amped drive in Chicago...the standard 85 is a beast in its own right!

Thanks from me too, as much as I know, intellectually that I don't "need" the perf and the extra $10k to get it, I've also been second guessing the choice ever since signing the MVPA. Your description of the experience helps a lot to reassure me that I won't be regretting the choice after taking delivery.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Today I visited the DC Store for a pre-arranged test drive. This time, guided by store Assistant Manager Kadira Mitchell, I had 40 minutes in the car and covered city streets as well as a good stretch on I-395 across the Potomac and back. I drove a silver 85 kWh non-performance version

Thanks for posting this. So is DC now offering test drives by appointment to any reservation holder? I've been meaning to look into that at some point but forgot. I'm in no rush, and I did get a drive at the Get Amped event . . . but so short and rushed that I have a lot of questions/confusions about how some things work, and I'd like another drive or two, at a slower pace, so I can actually explore the 17" interface, get the "instrument panel" explained to me, etc.

That looks like the car I drove on the Get Amped tour, and for sure the gaps were not pretty on those older vehicles. Apparently that's all fixed in production cars. The performance of the 85kWh was outstanding though I never drove the Performance model.

Thanks for posting this. So is DC now offering test drives by appointment to any reservation holder? I've been meaning to look into that at some point but forgot. I'm in no rush, and I did get a drive at the Get Amped event . . . but so short and rushed that I have a lot of questions/confusions about how some things work, and I'd like another drive or two, at a slower pace, so I can actually explore the 17" interface, get the "instrument panel" explained to me, etc.

Actually you don't have to have to be a reservation holder to arrange a test drive. I asked about that today as there were some people in the store arranging drives who did not have reservations.

- - - Updated - - -

Frankly, I didn't notice the gaps or even bother to check, as this was not a recent production version. I was totally focused on the drive and performance.

Glad to hear a review for a non-performance model. I like the Silver, but holy GAP batman! Oh, let me count the gaps:
-Frunk
-Trunk
-Front Door

A plus is that that rear-door gap looks perfect!

Did it look that bad in person?

Thanks Artsci, as I also was wondering if I should have sprung for the performance version and this made me feel better.

Yes, the gaps look pretty bad on this car but if you look at the sig deliveries, they look much much better now.

(Too bad customers new to Tesla are seeing these early production cars! At some point Tesla should rotate them out, or at least acknowledge the gaps and mention that they're much better on production cars).

How did you like the black leather w/ piano black interior? That's my interior config (gray exterior).

We finalized our order for the 85 KWh non performance about a week ago. At the get amped event I drove the performance model only. I have been wondering if that was the right decision, but we are already considerably above our budget. Thanks for your impression of the non-performance.

We finalized our order for the 85 KWh non performance about a week ago. At the get amped event I drove the performance model only. I have been wondering if that was the right decision, but we are already considerably above our budget. Thanks for your impression of the non-performance.

I've driven both myself. I drove a non-Performance model at the Toronto Get Amped event and was blown away by the "performance" of this car. Later, I drove a Performance model in Newport Beach and on the roads I drove on, couldn't really tell the difference. I'm sure in an instrumented head-to-head test, the Performance performs better, but I am more than happy with what I'll get in the standard version of this car.

(Too bad customers new to Tesla are seeing these early production cars! At some point Tesla should rotate them out, or at least acknowledge the gaps and mention that they're much better on production cars).

How did you like the black leather w/ piano black interior? That's my interior config (gray exterior).

The silver car is something of an amalgamation of parts (I didn't get a VIN) - textile seats and body color roof with the Alcantara headliner. It is to be replaced any day now by a Green car; the store didn't know any more than that as of 10/1.

Did you floor it to 60 in both cars? Hard to believe you wouldn't feel an over 1 second difference. I already have cars in the 5s so I need it to be FASTER. You would definitely feel it going from 6 to 5.

I was on a freeway much longer in DC and I did jump it from 60 to 80 (when the limiter kicked in) at least a dozen times. Didn't get that chance with the performance version in Menlo Park, nor did I have as many opportunities to test the acceleration in more normal street driving. So the comparison is not fair. All I meant is that the performance of the non-performance version was quite thrilling and satisfying. Of course, this has much to do with the instant responsiveness of the traction motor. In an ICE you'd normally have to downshift to get such a kick.

So the question remains for me: is the marginal additional performance of the non-performance 85 kWh model worth the marginal difference in cost? That's a subjective and very personal question if there ever was one. After all, we're not choosing between a tortoise and a hare:0

Last edited:
So the question remains for me: is the marginal additional performance of the non-performance 85 kWh model worth the marginal difference in cost? That's a subjective and very personal question if there ever was one. After all, we're not choosing between a tortoise and a hare:0

Getting the non-performance 85 kWh is probably more about added range and included Supercharger access than acceleration gain over the 60 kWh. If you're happy with the standard 85 kWh's performance (which is still excellent) then using the money that would have gone towards the performance option on other options, sales tax or the service plan makes sense.

Glad to hear that nonperformance was still "damned impressive", as that what I'll be getting.

I have a test drive scheduled soon, and it will be a performance model. I already had a test drive before at the Seattle event, and I think it was a nonperformance with the performance wheels, but now I'm not 100% certain about that.